Discuss How can people quote so low? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I did a job recently changing some faceplates. Owner was concerned about insulation above his new spotlights. Over some the insulation wasn't put back at all - a whole section was moved and not put back. Other spotlights had been covered. Also no jbs used so inner cores exposed and no cert. Took the guy 3 days to put 14 spots in 3 rooms, one external light and one external socket. The so called sparks promised a cert but nothing turned up.

Customer supplied the spots and external light and socket. So called sparks supplied everything else and labour for 350

I ended up sorting the mess out and the customer realised that the cheapest isn't always the cheapest and was out of pocket.

Problem you also get is customer want say a new double socket installed however you notice that there's no bonding to the installation so you need or tell the customer about it.
The customer thinks your making up work for more money so they hire a lad down the road who will do it for £20 no bother.

If you play by the rules then sometimes your handicapped when pricing private jobs.

labour only got so many votes because youngsters voted labour in the mistaken belief that their manifesto would help them ( tuition fees etc.) when jeremy and his cronies promise the earth but have no idea of how to pay for it, and as usual, have no intention of carrying out their election promises. ( remember that blair promised a referendum on the EU but never delivered).

See this posted elsewhere and even described as a Bribe. However far more of those who voted labour wouldn't have gained from tuition fees they would have been paying for them in their taxes. A significant number of voters for Labour where over 50's with degrees themselves. So maybe it was that they see the value of education and its importance to the UK economy as an investment rather than a cash cow as everything has to be nowadays. Depite the rightwing press being exposed for the lies and smear they used. Their voice still lingers on...

Cameron did deliver his promise for an EU referendum and look at the state we are in now.

Last edited:
See this posted elsewhere and even described as a Bribe. However far more of those who voted labour wouldn't have gained from tuition fees they would have been paying for them in their taxes..

I think "bribe" seems a little strong, but to offer to abolish tuition fees and cancel the debts of "older" students does strike me as "buying" votes... The debts are estimated at £30 billion and then there is the ongoing cost of students each year.

I don't think ANY of the parties did any good with their policies or their promises - for me there was just 1 that stood out:

1p on income tax to pay for social care - by the Liberals.....

I would happily pay an extra 1p on tax to sort out this financial mess.. and give our elderly some comfort in old age. My late mother was paying £6K per month at the end..... ALL funded by her and when she lived at home, SHE had to pay for any help....

labour only got so many votes because youngsters voted labour in the mistaken belief that their manifesto would help them ( tuition fees etc.) when jeremy and his cronies promise the earth but have no idea of how to pay for it, and as usual, have no intention of carrying out their election promises. ( remember that blair promised a referendum on the EU but never delivered).
I voted Labour because I can't stand may.
The arrogance to make no effort and blame it on having brexit to worry about... why call the election?!

And so many u turns.

When you've got people doing things for stupid money, it's not surprising really. Other side of the coin, there's a thread where a punter just paid £550 for a CU change.

Wasn't aware that I'd said it wasn't reasonable in certain areas, in others it wouldn't be a reasonable price.
The out of hours job though, was the Electricians choice not the clients.

I had one guy leave a voicemail, trying to find an electrician who was not vat registered, so he could get a 20% discount. Another sent me the longest text I've EVER had, for a supply to a shed, and the last line was 'how much do you charge?'.

Didn't respond to either. What happened to the 'Can you give me a quotation' routine?

lol I don't think I can remember the last time I gave a quote I have so many regular customers and here word of mouth carries you a long way so the amount of work passed to me from the customers I do have keeps me going ! I do all the wiring for one firm of builders all the wiring for 1 self employed guy maintenance on two hotels and two restaurants I also do wiring for a kitchen fitter and all the private work on top of that at the moment the one private job is an old mansion with 30 odd rooms been there on and off over the past couple of years and made almost £20000 off just this one job and still more to come ! (Sometimes life is just great in the country ! You can keep your city lives fighting for work I will keep my island paradise any day) lol

If you don't do quotes, even for kitchen fitters, all I can say is they are probably providing a quotation to their customers on your behalf.

It is very common for builders to make a mark up on other trades work. Last builder I did work for insisted I sent my invoice to them direct, and got in a right paddy when I later did some extra work for the same customer and invoiced them direct, almost accused me taking money out of his mouth. Told them his fortunes, and never worked for them again.

If you happy to do that, and making money, jobs a good'un :)

Reply to How can people quote so low? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net