Discuss How can people quote so low? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you don't do quotes, even for kitchen fitters, all I can say is they are probably providing a quotation to their customers on your behalf.

It is very common for builders to make a mark up on other trades work. Last builder I did work for insisted I sent my invoice to them direct, and got in a right paddy when I later did some extra work for the same customer and invoiced them direct, almost accused me taking money out of his mouth. Told them his fortunes, and never worked for them again.

If you happy to do that, and making money, jobs a good'un :)

I don't know your exact arrangements, but when I have subcontracted to companies (builders or otherwise) I have always been working under a subcontracting agreement that includes a clause stating I cannot work directly for any of their customers for a certain period of time after the job completes.

I think I'd be on the side of the builder, you've done work for them and then gone on to work directly for their customer, I'd be pretty irritated if someone did that to me.

I don't know your exact arrangements, but when I have subcontracted to companies (builders or otherwise) I have always been working under a subcontracting agreement that includes a clause stating I cannot work directly for any of their customers for a certain period of time after the job completes.

I think I'd be on the side of the builder, you've done work for them and then gone on to work directly for their customer, I'd be pretty irritated if someone did that to me.

not many local businesses have this as a clause in my experience... who's to say that the customer hasn't fallen out with the original contractor and won't have them onsite again but are happy with specific sub contractors....

A mind field IMHO

If you don't do quotes, even for kitchen fitters, all I can say is they are probably providing a quotation to their customers on your behalf.

It is very common for builders to make a mark up on other trades work. Last builder I did work for insisted I sent my invoice to them direct, and got in a right paddy when I later did some extra work for the same customer and invoiced them direct, almost accused me taking money out of his mouth. Told them his fortunes, and never worked for them again.

If you happy to do that, and making money, jobs a good'un :)
I normally bill customers direct even for the jobs I do for the builders my reputation for good value for money and a good job is all I need I bill for what I do I don't make massive profits but enough to live on ! I have a health condition which means I'm not as quick as most but my charges allow for this but it seems people are willing to wait just to have me do their work ! I have only had one person that quibbled the bill and kept £50 off the final bill but will never have work done by me again ! Not bad in almost 35 years.

I normally bill customers direct even for the jobs I do for the builders my reputation for good value for money and a good job is all I need I bill for what I do I don't make massive profits but enough to live on ! I have a health condition which means I'm not as quick as most but my charges allow for this but it seems people are willing to wait just to have me do their work ! I have only had one person that quibbled the bill and kept £50 off the final bill but will never have work done by me again ! Not bad in almost 35 years.

Sorry to hear of your ill health, currently I'm just limited by my age (fingers crossed). For me, I usually do for someone once, although I have gone back to some of my domestic customers, when they have moved house for example. Recently, probably just co-incidence, I've had my quotations questioned. To which I've replied, get someone else to quote you. In the domestic market, people seem to expect the work to be carried on the minimal of margins, but expect you back at the drop of a hat if there are minor imperfections. I blame Google!

not many local businesses have this as a clause in my experience... who's to say that the customer hasn't fallen out with the original contractor and won't have them onsite again but are happy with specific sub contractors....

A mind field IMHO

It doesn't matter if the customer has fallen out with them or not, if you've signed the agreement then you face legal proceedings if found out.

It doesn't matter if the customer has fallen out with them or not, if you've signed the agreement then you face legal proceedings if found out.
I would never sign anything that could restrict who I could work for but I guess living on a group of islands things are done completely different ! Here most people knows everyone else. Only big companies advertise not which I am one ! Here people trust each other because there is no where to hide and if you don't do a good job you just wouldn't last here. With just 20000 population on around 25 inhabited islands there is loads of island work available for those who don't mind being away from home ! Always loads of work as our local council put out their contracts in quiet times new housing popping up all over ! Price of living here is relatively high considering what's here but I can't picture me living anywhere else ! Winter lasts about 9 months of the year summer about 2 or 3 weeks no nightlife unless you want a ----y smelling nightclub but the pubs are good and plentyful and crime rate made up of minor fighting and driving offences so pretty much paradise for people like me who have spent a life time here lol

Potential new customer has been trying to play me off against another firm....other firm has quoted £7600 for a 185 point new build in brushed steel accessories and an intruder alarm on top....there are 5 houses....my price £11200 per house.

Hi Vincent,
How's tricks?
Would you manage out to Westray with me on Tuesday at 0700 and back in at 14:30 and fit a new fuse box check wiring and get me a certificate?
Cheers
Christopher
Lol this is the kind of messages I get no mention of how much just can you do it nice and easy ! One of my former customers friends

Potential new customer has been trying to play me off against another firm....other firm has quoted £7600 for a 185 point new build in brushed steel accessories and an intruder alarm on top....there are 5 houses....my price £11200 per house.
your price looks spot on to me, if anything, a bit low. how he can do 7600 is beyond me.

And me mate....These people can't have any business sense at all and won't last very long as they will be busy fools earning pittance.

I am close to your price too. £60 per point and that's to supply cable, CU & white accessories.
I wouldn't entertain any of these jokers doing it for Ridiculous prices. Although each to their own if they can make money at those margins.

Exactement; I'd say 3 1/2 months after doing the original work, is sufficient space in time for the customer to contact me direct.

Fortunately I do very little sub-contracting for builders, although I did refer a customer back to my original electrical contractor, many months after doing some work at this particular customers property. I have some scruples there.

I just feel that most of these builders make a mark up on my work, with no real input. If I worked regularly for a particular builder, I wouldn't mind the mark up, as it would provide me with regular work, or if the builder provided some form of warranty to the customer. They don't, they just make the customer pay more money, for no particular gain.

Reply to How can people quote so low? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net