Discuss How do you tell a customer that the other company is not right? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

northernsun

I've just been to another survey and the customer has had a quote that was a) using the wrong figures for the SAP calcs (.95 instead of .8) and B) telling them that they have a special offer with a supplier so if they sign before such and such they get £500.00 off.
I see quite a few threads on here about daft claims, people pushing their own products and bigging them up etc..

My question is, as a none salesman, how do you go about telling the customer that this just aint on? Maybe with glaring thigs like the out and out bull its more cut and dried- you just tell them and show them the REAL docs. BUt its got me thinking. I always feel its unprofessional to slag off the opposition, often I have heard that a salesman had rubbished my choice of module because "theirs" is better- normally for a stupid reason like "ours is more efficient" and it often just leaves the customer confused. If I lose out on a job to a good installer that has either just got a better pice on a good product or put more effort in then I'm happy (ish!) but losing out to liars and cowboys is frustrating!
The last thing I want to do though, is play their game- depsite having reason too as in the cases above, and look just like one of them.

Get the first appointment with a potenial client, not only can you set the panel choices up to your panels but also set the standard against which the other firms are measured against. You can't really slag off the competetion but you can sutblely impliy there are Salesmen and Surveyors and do the other firms visiting really understand the complexies of their project or they just selling.

To be frank, no matter what your sales technique, stunning technical knowlegde and friendly professional manner, more than half the time it comes down to price. IMO anyways!

We seem to get more jobs that we've gone to last, after everyone else, than those we've been keen to get to and got there first. I used to think first was best but I just think if you can build a rapport with the customer that usually works best. Many, many of our customers have come back to us with information about what the competition are doing, what they liked, what they didn't like and helped us to hone our prices, panel choices and service. We're greatful for their advice and support but I think it's important to our customers that they help develop local solutions.

Forgot to say, the vast majority of our customers really dislike sales pitches and especially pressure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time you hear of a breach of the REAL code send it in.

I address every one to [email protected] and I ask her what she's going to do about it. She's the watchdog for our industry and between us we certainly pay enough for her to sort it out.

That said, I've never had any reason to believe that she's done a damned thing!

Reply to How do you tell a customer that the other company is not right? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock