Search the forum,

Discuss How do you use a Megger avo to read 4 to 20 milliamp signals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Plug the leads into com and Amp
Select Amps. **

It will auto range, but you can select a particular range using the range button.

But the range will be 0 to 600uA, 0 to 6mA etc.

If you actually have just 4mA the 0 to 6mA range will be ok, if it's more than 6mA, you would have to select the next range. (Or allow it to auto range)

EDIT**

I assumed you wanted ac Amps, but I re read it - are you using it to measure an analogue 4-20mA signal?

If so this would be DC not ac

Last edited:
I've only had a brief look at the spec, but I don't think it has a mA range does it?

Welcome to the forum by the way!
...trying to remember how micro-amps work....10 ^ -4 ?
Looks like it will auto-range anyway and it has a 600 micro-amp range accurate to 1% plus 2 digits

Apologies. The web page I looked at didn't list a current range at all in the spec list. Must have been duff info!

Edit, I've just found the correct info - the page I was on earlier was something entirely different.

Don't forget to choose the correct current setting (ie DC Amps rather than AC)

Last edited:
Hi thanks guys have worked it out have to use the10amp lead socket not the micro amp socket. Then alter the range so it reads 0.004 for 4 milliamps and 0.020 for 20 milliamps. I had a fluke multimeter at my previous job and this read the milliamps as 4 and 20 so this one threw me a bit. Thanks for all the input, cheers ( had to hand back the fluke when previous firm went insolvent bit of a bugger lol)

I will put my hand up here and say I find auto ranging and 4-20mA don't mix. Of course it depends on what you're measuring and how fast the changes are, but even so I've managed to take multiple readings at a controller and misread... say 165uA as 16.5mA. Fortunatly I have several meters with switchable ranges including 20mA.

Also I have a device; switchable to read/source 4-20mA/0-10V and IIRC can also display as %... not used it for 5+ years due to age/retirement and can't for the life of me remember the make.

I've also seen a lovely Fluke multimeter some years back with a 4-20 source function. For some reason I recall it's 3 concecutive numbers like 345 or 789 but well out of my price range.

10^-6. Powers go in threes - milli (-3), micro (-6), nano (-9), pico (-12), notworthbotheringabouto (-15)

It would have taken several of those last ones coursing through your brain to allow you to type that.

Let’s go the other way…

10^3 kilo
^6 mega
^9 giga
^12 tera

We’re up to tera in everyday life with terabytes on a hard drive…

^15 peta
^18 ?
^21?????

We’re up to tera in everyday life with terabytes on a hard drive…

^15 peta
^18 ?
^21?????
Exa
Zetta

Oddly enough the ZFS ("zettabyte file system") goes to an exabyte max on one file, but WAY over a zettabyte in maximum storage pool size. So much so that nobody is physically going to get there in my lifetime!

Reply to How do you use a Megger avo to read 4 to 20 milliamp signals in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back