Discuss How does the trade differ in other countries? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Willis

Has anyone here done much work in other countries?

I'm planning on doing some travelling in the not so distant future and although i would like to fund this with savings and not work as i travel, i realise that at some point i may need to work.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has worked abroad in any country at all, and anything they noticed in that country that was different to the way we do things here, eg cable colours, different products, regulations etc.

I work abroad about 80% of the time and I am thankfull that all our jobs are to BS7671. I don't know how you could go to a country short term and expect to understand and comply to their local regulations.

Because i don't even know what countries I will be visiting. I simply want to know how difficult it would be to work in another country, how certain countries differ from ours and in what way.

I'm actually quite curious, regardless of the whole traveling thing.

I reckon it would be very difficult to work as a spark in foreign countries.

Language barrier for communication and accessory instructions

Different voltages

Different regs

Different colour codings etc.

If you go to USA, Australia, New Zealand you would need a license before you can do any sparking work but as Sintra said unless you are there for sometime you wouldn't get to know their regulations let alone understand them unless you are fluent in their language to read them.

Personally speaking I think you would be better off doing an unskilled job when abroad.

Personally speaking I think you would be better off doing an unskilled job when abroad.

I worked in OZ ( a lonnnggg time ago ) and the regulations there are "watertight" I repaired domestic appliances / air conditioning and TV etc. so worked on mains powered kit day in day out. However It would have been illegal for me even to rplace a mains plug !!!

I changed dozens even so :D:D:D

Reply to How does the trade differ in other countries? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net