Search the forum,

Discuss How locate SWA cable during garden landscaping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

diysucks

Hello - My garden is being landscaped - once in a lifetime job.

Various walls are being built where lighting, power sockets & adaptable boxes have to be mounted.

The cables will be laid prior to the walls and their foundations being built.

How do I locate/lay the swa cables, in preparation for connecting to the lighting, power sockets & adaptable boxes?

I was thinking of making a rectangular 'shuttering arrangement' out of CLS wood & plywood, 600mm high, so that the cables could be guided out of the cable trench to be located by the wall's eventual location.
This would entail part of the wall foundation being replaced by the 'shuttering'.

The shuttering could be removed after the swa cables have been wired into the lighting, power sockets & adaptable boxes, which would have been mounted on the wall.

Make sense?
Other ideas welcome.

Thanks

Get the electrician running the job to point out the routes they need, they will inform you of depths that need to be maintained among other things.

They will be better run in ducts, offers a little more protection and the option of replacing a cable if needed without digging it all back up.

Thanks Rob - but I cocked up the question.

Various foundations are being laid for walls & shed base and the cables will be laid in several trenches, up to the location on the walls where the electrical connection boxes are. One box requires 4 access ports on the bottom side where the swa cable will enter/exit.

The idea of making a rectangular box out of wood, is to guide the swa to the location by the wall where the boxes are, yet allow some movement of cable when fitting to the box.

I was thinking of making a rectangular 'shuttering arrangement' out of CLS wood & plywood, 600mm high, so that the cables could be guided out of the cable trench to be located by the wall's eventual location.
This would entail part of the wall foundation being replaced by the 'shuttering'.

Once the cables were fitted to the box, the shuttering could be removed and the 'missing' part of the foundation concreted.

The cables will be in place, adjacent the foundation, for some time before the wall will be built.

This idea make sense or any better idea?

Thanks

Thanks Rob - but I cocked up the question.

Various foundations are being laid for walls & shed base and the cables will be laid in several trenches, up to the location on the walls where the electrical connection boxes are. One box requires 4 access ports on the bottom side where the swa cable will enter/exit.

The idea of making a rectangular box out of wood, is to guide the swa to the location by the wall where the boxes are, yet allow some movement of cable when fitting to the box.

Once the cables were fitted to the box, the shuttering could be removed and the 'missing' part of the foundation concreted.

The cables will be in place, adjacent the foundation, for some time before the wall will be built.

This idea make sense or any better idea?

Thanks

Hi dude, i think you may be creating extra work for yourself,and your footings need to be cast in one piece.

A decent spark would be able to advise you regarding ducting placement,and may not be unduly put out,by you doing the groundwork.

If your footings are below finished ground level,getting to your boxes,etc,would not be a problem.

If for some reason your footings are higher,you can wait until your wall is constructed,and run a slow bend duct up,at your connection points,slotting with a grinder and masonry bit,if it needs dropping a tad.

Either way,a bit of advice from someone who will be involved in the electrical side,would be beneficial. :icon12:

Reply to How locate SWA cable during garden landscaping in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net