Currently reading:
How long before chasing payment?

Discuss How long before chasing payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I very rarely have an issue with customers paying, the vast majority have paid straight away or within a few days. However I'm still waiting for payment for an emergency call out I attended in early December.

Without going into all the details, I got a call at 4.30 on a Saturday evening from someone near me with no power on most circuits after plugging in outside Christmas lights. I agreed to go and look, rather foolish because we were going out to meet family with table booked for 7, would have to leave by 6.30, but it was a only a few houses away and from sound of it would have put money on it being faulty lights that wanted binning. Long story short it wasn't as straightforward as that, ended up having to go and get a part and turned up an hour and half late for meal while OH had to get a taxi. Needless to say I never heard the end of it for days. Waited a week before billing to make sure everything was fine first, customer said it was and thank you. Sent the bill, heard nothing yet. Just interested to know people's thoughts on what point I should start chasing. Not quite 30 days yet and don't want to chase it too early especially with Christmas in that period but after bending over backwards in what was supposed to be my free time I can't say I'm not a little miffed for not being paid yet.

No you would not, you are discussing information pertaining to your business which you are free to divulge to anyone you wish, nothing to do with the data protection act, at a very great stretch it may be construed as liable, but almost impossible to prove.

I don't wish to get into a protracted argument in this thread, but Acts of Parliament aren't subject to opinion - at least not unless you happen to preside over a court of law - and the issue under discussion is pretty much data protection 101 (or GDPR 101 across the EU).

Disclosing information about your own business is perfectly fine, but once details pertaining to a named customer enter the conversation you would be in breach of the Act.

I'd be happy to discuss the issue further if you wish to start a separate thread.

Are they a customer if they have not paid, moot point, but obtaining anything under false pretences is a criminal act, the Data protection act allows disclosure of personal information to prevent further criminal offences.

Each client was sent an quote prior to leaving for site.
The ones we did not know we required payment prior to leaving.
Out of interest, how do you do this? Bank Transfer?
I have a SumUp machine as a last resort payment option for the crowd that don't carry cash and have lost their cheque book. I always love the look of surprise when I say I can accept the card that I've already seen in their cash-free wallet.

But I've never figured out over-the-phone card payments. Out of hour call-outs are the exact situation I'd like to be able to use them.

Out of interest, how do you do this? Bank Transfer?
I have a SumUp machine as a last resort payment option for the crowd that don't carry cash and have lost their cheque book. I always love the look of surprise when I say I can accept the card that I've already seen in their cash-free wallet.

But I've never figured out over-the-phone card payments. Out of hour call-outs are the exact situation I'd like to be able to use them.
SumUp has a "Virtual Terminal" option if you are qualifying for it and request it to be activated. Slightly higher fees on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone, not yet no I will do tomorrow. I did mean I live around the corner from the customer (never met before, quite a few houses around), so will pop another one with a note through the door. I double checked, invoice is dated 17 December so 30 days on Tuesday.

if you dont know them...one of the key comments needed to be made in the communications is "How will you pay " ? get this established first .Then pull out the trump card "I have a card reader method of payment you can use" if they makes excuses about not having cash etc etc

Paid. Sent another email Thursday this time responded within an hour apologising for the delay due to family crap apparently. Just glad it's sorted. Thanks for the advice.
Might be 100% genuine and was all caught up etc .Its a very hard game to work out. Thats why many dont even start to play it. Its payment upfront or on completion .

Reply to How long before chasing payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back