Discuss How many spurs can you get off one socket on a ring????? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A friend asked me to have a quick look at the electrics as she wasn't sure if the plasterer was doing it quite right!

On investigation I found the socket (on a ring) was already supplying one spur which fed 2 sockets (JB underfloorboards). The plasterer had already added another spur and then another spur off that spur, and he had another cable in the initial socket ready to feed another spur.

socket.jpg

So altogether the socket was to have 3 seperate spurs taken from it, feeding 5 extra sockets.

Tried to explain it to the plasterer, but he said he'd rang his electrician mate and they had said it was ok. Nice chap though and was quite happy to let me take over. :smile5:

A friend asked me to have a quick look at the electrics as she wasn't sure if the plasterer was doing it quite right
WT absolute holy F is going on? What kind of idiot do you have to be to get a plasterer to carry out electrical work.
Tell him from me that both him and his "electrician" mate are complete and utter bloody fools. If they have a problem with that they can come and see me.

WT absolute holy F is going on? What kind of idiot do you have to be to get a plasterer to carry out electrical work.
Tell him from me that both him and his "electrician" mate are complete and utter bloody fools. If they have a problem with that they can come and see me.

Subtle, luv it!:beatnik2:

I doubt I'll see him again Trev, although he's hard to miss... six foot seven and built like a tank. I still told him he was wrong!! Said it nicely though..

your friend should of just got you to do it in the 1st place

I think you're probably right there.

A friend asked me to have a quick look at the electrics as she wasn't sure if the plasterer was doing it quite right!

On investigation I found the socket (on a ring) was already supplying one spur which fed 2 sockets (JB underfloorboards). The plasterer had already added another spur and then another spur off that spur, and he had another cable in the initial socket ready to feed another spur.

View attachment 27480

So altogether the socket was to have 3 seperate spurs taken from it, feeding 5 extra sockets.

Tried to explain it to the plasterer, but he said he'd rang his electrician mate and they had said it was ok. Nice chap though and was quite happy to let me take over. :smile5:

Was there some 'testing' going on here? Wago shorting line and neutral?

They do it.
The whole set up see's loadings nothing more than 10 amps for years.
And despite your best efforts, years later,
They can't see what the problem is and simply say
"Its been like it for years, never had a problem" !!!
Give us strength lads, give us strength.

Was there some 'testing' going on here? Wago shorting line and neutral?

Yep! Quite a bit!

Has anyone ever actually seen 5 conductors in one terminal in a socket? I've just had a quick look on the forum and I cant see that it is mentioned.. To not have been discussed on this forum which looks into every nook and cranny it must be beyond the realms of even the worst practise!!

Yes but they were wired in 1.5 t&e.
Also figure of eight ring mains lovely job, lack of grommets just like yours.
Customer wanted my advise as had reservations about the sparks being used.
Advice !!
Kick him out
Rip it out
Start again.

They do it.
The whole set up see's loadings nothing more than 10 amps for years.
And despite your best efforts, years later,
They can't see what the problem is and simply say
"Its been like it for years, never had a problem" !!
!
Give us strength lads, give us strength.

this is normally the quote from the customer when you mention about having to install bonding as well. lol

I can't see how you can get 5 x 2.5mm (12.5mm) in single solid core conductors into a sockets connection terminal... It's not as if you can even cut a stand off here and there!! ...lol!!

At least the knock out box is a nice deep one. So reduce the OPD to 20A and you will find the plasterer was right all along!! Pah, you lot know nowt!! Seriously though it is pretty bloody silly all in all. I would insist on either damaging walls or lifting floors to get that sorted out. Even if you could squeeze 5x2.5 in a terminal I would not do it.

get your bolster out chase the plaster off ha ha and do the electrical job properly and tell your plasterer mate to keep to plastering if he wanted to be a spark he should of done better at school lol

I have seen that before, basically it is 2 rings and a radial, one leg of each ring to be joined out in the back of the box with wagos and the other 3 in the front into the socket, I am not saying it is good, but whats the issue if it passes all of the tests?? :biggrin:

Reply to How many spurs can you get off one socket on a ring????? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net