Discuss How many watts can I power from the 12v cigarette lighter socket in my car please? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Re: How many watts can I power from the 12v cigarette lighter socket in my car please

first get the battery tested at somewhere like hi-Q. it could be an alternator fault, not charging the battery fully. or, as you say, could be that the inverter is goosed,

Re: How many watts can I power from the 12v cigarette lighter socket in my car please

Thanks telectrix, I went to the garage who last serviced my van and they were kind enough to give me some free time checking out both the battery and the inverter with a volt meter under various loads, the tests pointed to the inverter cutting out while the voltage entering it was good and it was only powering 270 watts and it was then discovered that the inverter is overheating because the fan isn't spinning.

Glad I took you're advice rather than going and moaning at the guys who sold me the battery but it's so annoying that the inverter should pack in after 13 months and just out of warranty!

Have a look at some consumer advice web sites. I am sure that under EU regulations and UK law retailers/suppliers have to give a 2 year g'tee on stuff.

As the inverter is out of warranty, might as well take it apart to find out if the fan has failed, if so a look round ebay etc will probably find a replacement. If the fan is OK, you could wire it direct to a 12 volt supply (assuming fan is 12 volt!) via a switch and fuse, just have to remember to turn it on and off.

Thanks, I'm not having much luck getting a response from the seller as yet, nor from Mercury, the manufacturer.

I looked up that 2 year minimum warranty rule, it's not that simple unfortunately, see here: Martin Lewis' Blog? | The EU ?goods must last a minimum two years? rule is a myth

The inverter I bought is on sale for 2 and a half times the price of similar inverters - see here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Start-...4W/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1359648099&sr=8-10
but I wonder now what the point was in buying from the supposed market leader when similar ones are on sale for £30-£40.

I may take it apart and have a fiddle with it, but if no luck I'll just buy one from Maypole next time, I have some of their other products and they seem to work well.

maplins sometimes have offers on. i bought a 600watt inverter for £19.99 on offer.

Reply to How many watts can I power from the 12v cigarette lighter socket in my car please? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock