Discuss How much to charge for an EICR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tim Brennan

I have a new neighbour who asked me to look at a few cables sticking out of the wall and ceiling in her lounge, in the house she's just moved into. I have tested them and they are dead, but i told her that I cannot find any switches and without further investigation cant guarantee that they would not become live at some point.
She says she has no certification, I have only recently qualified and not done an EICR yet, I know it depends on the scope but I'm not sure what i should quote her.
The house looks like it could do with a fair bit of work, but as a single mum, I dont think she has lots of spare cash.

I generally work on around £30 per circuit. If you know there is not much cash available, although you never really know, then you could lay out the potential cost of EICR and then remedial works. Then it is up to the client to decide.

I generally work on around £30 per circuit. If you know there is not much cash available, although you never really know, then you could lay out the potential cost of EICR and then remedial works. Then it is up to the client to decide.
£30 a circuit! I take it you don't do many, if any EICRs.

From looking at the CU, there are 8 MCBs, but of course the circuits are not labelled. There is also one RCD at the far end but without taking the cover off I do not know what circuits are connected to it.

Shouldn't worry about them not being labelled it is only a house. If I were doing this I need to cover a days work and this would include the Report writing. As you are not experienced in EICRs you may just have to put in a price to cover your day and see how it goes, don't fall out with your new neighbour would be a key factor here.

I'm not in the Midlands, but I charge £225.00. Normally I don't get the job though as most charge a lot less.
There is a lot of work involved and responsibility therefore I am not willing to do it for less.
At a resent tech talk a show of hand was requested for how long it took to do an eicr on a normal domestic 3 bed property. Most Sparks said approx 4 hours.
It normally takes me a full day and then I go home and write it up.
To be honest I find them to be a bit of a pain and am happy not to get the job.

At least the travelling costs will be low,,, unless you're going the long way around Guv.

Just because it's next door don't get tempted into doing a bit every now and then.
Crack on and get the job done in one go.

Remedials if any could be as time permits.

A tip..... no one else can tell/advise you what to charge for work, there are just so many variables. If you are just starting out, you need to decide what you need/want to earn each year, then break that down to an hourly rate.

You then need to research your local market charges for the type of work your doing, 'cos if you want/need to charge more than the local market will take, you have a problem.

Reply to How much to charge for an EICR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net