Discuss How old does a cutout need to be to get the DNO to replace? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jase31

How old does a cutout need to be to get the DNO to replace? Midlands (ex central networks)

I have a old metal box (see pic) that I would like to get replaced?

Attachments

• How old does a cutout need to be to get the DNO to replace? cout - EletriciansForums.net
    cout.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 213
whats with black and brown coming out the henley block across the floor? That mess deffo needs sorted out

Last edited by a moderator:
runs to yet another switchfuse on right hand wall. There is no consumer unit, just a collection of various switchfuses around the place. Whole thing is being stripped out, and started again.

Looking to get DNO to replace cutout (and drop in an isolator at the same time), or if the will not replace then no doubt they will charge me for an isolator!

Not sure if the cutout was originally green (or brown as is now the case)How old does a cutout need to be to get the DNO to replace? photo (2) - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
100A DP Isolator new tails on there side and digi meter is £39 with british gas wether you have 1 or all 3 donethe meter only gets replaced if old 1 about 10yrs old its at there discretion dont know about other suppliers But to get the dno out to replace cutout may be dearer or they may replace if its beyond its working life

someone else on her eay be more knowledgable regarding dno and suppliers

an isolation switch would be fitted by your electric supplier, whereas the DNO fuse is down to the DNO to replace. They have has enough standing charge out of this cutout. They expect me to put in 25mm tails, where there cutout is 60a

Give them the " I can smell burning/hear sizzling" sometimes scenario. At the very least they will have to come out and have a look and you may get your upgrade.

You can also throw in worried it may have a fused neutral just to see where that gets you.

I wouldnt bother, your wasting your time.

Western power AKA Eon, in birmingham, TNS, old cable head, open top funnel type tared in, with separate inline fuse. tar showing signs of age and cracked, funnel body cast and old, tails were VIR. ZE of 151ohms

Called them, they came out within the hour, slaged me to the ground to the customer called me lazy and a rougue and told them that i was wasting their time and the customers time and that i should have TT the installation instead of calling them (which i did).

Not impressed if im honnest

Look's like that will be a 30A rewireable inside the head, I've seen heads similar to that with rewireable's in. In my area EDF fitted an Isolator for free but wanted money to upgrade the head. Thad head need's upgrading, you will probably blow it if you had an electric shower and hob on at the same time.

run the shower, cooker , kettle, toaster, immersion heater, and any other large loads all together.

unless you have a direct fault with the cut out mate they will not change it for free, there has to be a risk of fire or shock for it to be replaced under the asset replacement scheme, as for an isolator these are also charged for and most times requested that the sparky installs it before hand. Hope this helps

just recently had similar situation. metal clad rewirable fused live and neutral head. nottinghamshire.
phoned dno, 1 person said no problems, next had a fit and said they were dangerous and needed replacing immediately,
1 chap turned up and doubled fuse wire in neutral and called another gang to do an immediate swap who turned up and said it wasnt their problem.

eventually, third bunch turned up, dug up pavement, changed head and cable charged customer £50 back-hand and buggered off.

so my question is why am i busting my arse trying to keep up with the regulations?????

what DNO was that.... taking back handers for there normal work...!!

ring DNO and say its getting rather hot when using and it smell like its on fire!!! guranteed to get it landed on some buggers workload that day!! :)

Reply to How old does a cutout need to be to get the DNO to replace? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock