Discuss How should Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate be Updated? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Novice12

Hello,

I recently had house rewired and was left the Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate for the work.

In the "Details of the Installation" section it had "New" ticked under "The installation is" part so i.e. is saying is a new installation.

I later received a Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance for this work from NICEIC.

However the work was not fully finished at the time the Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate was filled out, dated and signed and since then a few bits more were done to finish the job. These included adding a socket to a loop that was ready for it, adjustment to wiring to another socket and installation of an extractor fan.

I pointed out to my builder that work had been done since the Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate was filled-in and as I understood it it should only been signed and dated once all work is complete.

He has now got Electrician to fill out, date and sign another Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate done after the all the work actually finished.

However the new Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate is marked to indicate the installation is "An addition" and not "New" even though in the "Details of the Installation" section it still says that the work is a "full rewire to property..." etc.

Should the new Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate be marked to show the installation as "new" still?

Also how will NICEIC deal with this new Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate when they receive it? Will they just issue another Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance or will they question why they have got it again from the Electrician etc.?

My other concern/question is that I think in the "Circuit Details" section some of the numbers re. things like lights and sockets may be incorrect. For example for some of the "Number of points served" entries the number of lights seems to be too high compared to the actual number of lights; will this cause me any issues down the line, for example when come to sell, if these don't tally? Also If a light switch turns on multiple light bulbs such as bathroom ceiling lights are these lights counted as 1 point served or is it 1 point served for each actual light bulb? This might go some way (but not all the way) to explaining the differences in numbers written on the form and actual numbers in house.

Also the Building Regulations Certificate of Compliance has no referrence to the extractor fan.

Any help to understand this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Was the "person" who did the rewire an electrician, and if so was he/she a paid up member of the NICEIC or any of the other scams, the NICEIC are not the B all and end all of things, an EIC should list all the work done, all the test results from the work done, there should be no ambiguity whatsoever, in all honesty Novice 12 you may have been done over by an unscrupulous builder, I could be wrong I hope I am lets see what others think, as I am out of the loop somewhat with regards to domestics.

I would not be losing too much, if any, sleep over it TBH.

Lighting circuits usually also have the fire detection and extractor fans on them too.

I always count all points of wiring on the cert, so JB's,switches, lights, detectors, fans ETC, ETC.

Points served should be the total number of usable outlets, eg. socket outlets, power points or lighting points. This should not include light switches or any of the other paraphernalia used to energise/transmit power to that final user point.

Points served should be the total number of usable outlets, eg. socket outlets, power points or lighting points. This should not include light switches or any of the other paraphernalia used to energise/transmit power to that final user point.
Hi Westward 10, so if 1 light switch turns on 4 lights for example this would be counted as 4 points served?

Are all the lights 230v? If they are low voltage/led, transformers or drivers may be feeding more than one point. In this case I would count the source as the circuit point. No way should a switch be counted as a such a point.
I think you are worrying too much regarding the reports, there could be perfectly obvious answers to your questions. Ask the bloke who did it for an explanation. Mountains and molehills spring to mind.

I've seem some abhorrent practices posted on the forum over the past couple of years, and some real horror stories of installations. This seems that it's not one of them. As @ferg has said, I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it.

I assume that you are happy with the work done ? it seems to me that the electrician has compleated work energised it issued electrical cert,further work has been done and electrical certificate again issued. If there was something you was not sure of this should be descussed with the electrician via the builder I am sure that they would of been happy to explain this to you for your reference and have a happy customer that would recommend them. one day someone will put a post on here that the work has been done by a forum member then it will hit the fan.

and if so was he/she a paid up member of the NICEIC or any of the other scams, the NICEIC are not the B all and end all of things,

TBH this is getting boring Pete. We all know there are some issues around NIC, ECA, Stroma SELECT etc etc, but using any opportunity to have a go - it's been done to death. I chose to go down the NICEIC AC route as it serves my business interests. I too have some views about fee levels; inspection fees, action against poor performers and so on, but the schemes do provide an audit of work, provide warranty to customers, highlight safety issues to the public and so on.
I think those who choose not to join a scheme (which is totally fine by me), but continually berate the schemes, can't have anything better to do! :p:p:p
PS sorry for high-jacking the thread.

TBH this is getting boring Pete. We all know there are some issues around NIC, ECA, Stroma SELECT etc etc, but using any opportunity to have a go - it's been done to death. I chose to go down the NICEIC AC route as it serves my business interests. I too have some views about fee levels; inspection fees, action against poor performers and so on, but the schemes do provide an audit of work, provide warranty to customers, highlight safety issues to the public and so on.
I think those who choose not to join a scheme (which is totally fine by me), but continually berate the schemes, can't have anything better to do! :p:p:p
Thats alright mate no worries

That was an intelligent, balanced and insightful reply, we need to stamp out this sort of stuff before others start to follow polo 1's example.

I wouldn't worry, I have never known anyone to inspect how many points are served, or whether a fan is on a particular circuit, or even if work was completed after the certificate was issued. It is normal for the building regs notification to the council to be very bland, they will normally just say something along the lines of:- circuits added in kitchen, rewire, or replacement consumer unit never lists all work and never in any great detail. The main detail should be in the certificate. I would not specifically list an extractor fan just the lighting circuit which feeds it.

Reply to How should Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate be Updated? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net