Discuss How To Better Yourself As An Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

harrison2987

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to find out what people's views are on how to better yourself as a spark, improving knowledge and workmanship etc.

I know we can read cover to cover the regs on how to do things properly, but is there any other literature - books, websites etc. out there for electricians to read to gain a better knowledge and understanding of the trade?

What have people found that has helped them in the past, either with understanding the theory behind electrics, or better practices working on site in general.

Hopefully this post will help people who might not know where to look for good, soild, useful infomation.

Look forward to your input chaps and chapesses!!

The best way to improve yourself in knowledge and in skill, is to get hands on out there and get your hands dirty. All the mistakes and mishaps and all the foremen screaming and shouting will give you thee biggest learning curve of your life.Reading books is only the first step in a life times career.

When costing jobs add on 30 or 60 minutes so you are not rushing. Poor preparation is also a good way to fail too.

I never do CU changes on Fridays unless I have too and try, and keep the morning free after the change to cover the unexpected "additional work".

Get yourself the book, JF Whitfield Electrical craft principles, had these books decades back in my college days, still used for the syllabus on C&G courses ,plenty of pictures etc,and very well explained,still got volumes 1 and 2,just googled and he is now up to volume 5 lol.

Dont shy away from things you dont already know how to do, just make sure you research it thoroughly first (but also know when your completely out of your depth), invest in the required tools , learn from all your mistakes and get stuck in!

Some things that have got me alot more work and customers, because some sparks(or maybe just Electrical Trainee) dont know how to or have refused to take the job on cause its not a bit of twin and earth

Most of these require a relatively low outlay for the tools needed and expand your skillset which in turn will get you more business and opportunities

pyro
steel conduit
cat 5 data/hdmi distribution
aerial/satellite installation (freeview/sky/freesat etc)
central heating systems (s plan y plan etc)
intruder alarms
cctv
door entry systems

the first two you should already know if youve been properly trained but im still amazed at the amount of sparks who dont know how to make off a pyro gland, or pull a bubble set in a bit of 20mm galv

Dont shy away from things you dont already know how to do, just make sure you research it thoroughly first (but also know when your completely out of your depth), invest in the required tools , learn from all your mistakes and get stuck in!

Some things that have got me alot more work and customers, because some sparks(or maybe just Electrical Trainee) dont know how to or have refused to take the job on cause its not a bit of twin and earth

Most of these require a relatively low outlay for the tools needed and expand your skillset which in turn will get you more business and opportunities

pyro
steel conduit
intruder alarms
cctv
door entry systems

the first two you should already know if youve been properly trained but im still amazed at the amount of sparks who dont know how to make off a pyro gland, or pull a bubble set in a bit of 20mm galv

Bubble set don't you mean over saddle!!

pyro
steel conduit
intruder alarms
cctv
door entry systems

To be honest, I've never used pyro in my life (trained up from 2008) and haven't touched still conduit since 2010. Still have the notes from that practical so I could do the bubble and double set but it would take me a while and a lot of note reading haha.

This forum does help in the fact that it gives you stories of weird faults or wiring etc but there is nothing better than experiencing things for yourself.

pyro
steel conduit
intruder alarms
cctv
door entry systems

Done about 2 bubble sets in the last year in galv, couple in plastic.

But a lot of swan necks in college.

Ill usually wing it but if there on show ill actually measure it to make sure its symetrical.

I like working with trunking and conduit as its satisfying to know it looks good and will be there in 20+ years

To be honest, I've never used pyro in my life (trained up from 2008) and haven't touched still conduit since 2010. Still have the notes from that practical so I could do the bubble and double set but it would take me a while and a lot of note reading haha.

This forum does help in the fact that it gives you stories of weird faults or wiring etc but there is nothing better than experiencing things for yourself.

..... And a s*** load of conduit!

When costing jobs add on 30 or 60 minutes so you are not rushing. Poor preparation is also a good way to fail too.

I never do CU changes on Fridays unless I have too and try, and keep the morning free after the change to cover the unexpected "additional work".

Murdoch, i think the saying your after is...

"failing to prepare is preparing to fail"

Used to hear that lots as an apprentice.

Reply to How To Better Yourself As An Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net