Discuss How to check if a fuse feeds a ring final or 2 radial circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was thinking about this recently. I don't think that the cross-connection method is particularly reliable for checking the configuration of a ring circuit where you have, for example a very short spur with more than one socket, where the additional resistance produced is minimal.

Obviously measure ring continuity, IR, Zs, etc. as usual.

Thoughts?

A couple of thoughts of mine Handysparks

Good thinking and I seem to agree with the outcome that ring continuity would be assured,but it also seems to entail major disruption at every socket, having to disconnect then test remotely at the dist board for each item and do so 3 times per socket,it would seem to be one very time consuming exercise

The main weakness I see is that the test is also a test of polarity and although the tester is likely to reconnect the items correctly,bad things do sometimes occur and this test would mean it is then down to a plug in jobbie or reliance on not getting it wrong ever

Well you obviou
Just trying to show the OP the complexity, of a RFC test and the need for the correct equipment, a multimeter is no good for this test, not something for what is a DIYer or in this case a Handy man, who in all honesty shouldn't be fluffing around with something he has very limited knowledge, these videos are very informative for trainees etc, absolutely not to be used by non sparkies
Pete never linked up your post with OP's response, so no offence meant. :)

Another point I didn't see raised is if he in fact managed to get test results there is the issue of knowing how to interpret them, understanding what they mean and when action needs to be taken, a high ohms reading end to end may be dealt with differently by a professional as oppose to a DIYer, just because it shows a closed loop doesn't mean its safe to energise.

Another point I didn't see raised is if he in fact managed to get test results there is the issue of knowing how to interpret them, understanding what they mean and when action needs to be taken, a high ohms reading end to end may be dealt with differently by a professional as oppose to a DIYer, just because it shows a closed loop doesn't mean its safe to energise.

I touched on it near the beginning:

To verify if it is a ring, you need to access every socket outlet on the circuit in turn (you will likely have to unscrew them all), after making temporary connections in the CU. You also need to know how to interpret the results obtained from your 'multi meter'.

I think I might be more concerned as to why suddenly are there fuses going so regularly, what is going on with the sockets if they did not do this before. You might find a temporary answer if you knew what they are plugging in when the fuse goes and encourage them not to. What do you think? At least until it can be investigated more thoroughly. Might be faulty equipment or overload from too many things on at the same time.

A couple of thoughts of mine Handysparks

Good thinking and I seem to agree with the outcome that ring continuity would be assured,but it also seems to entail major disruption at every socket, having to disconnect then test remotely at the dist board for each item and do so 3 times per socket,it would seem to be one very time consuming exercise

The main weakness I see is that the test is also a test of polarity and although the tester is likely to reconnect the items correctly,bad things do sometimes occur and this test would mean it is then down to a plug in jobbie or reliance on not getting it wrong ever

True. Certainly more disruptive that the conventional 'figure of eight' test.
I was really trying to think of a guaranteed way of proving a ring, as I often find that contact resistance makes for uncertain readings.

I think I might be more concerned as to why suddenly are there fuses going so regularly, what is going on with the sockets if they did not do this before. You might find a temporary answer if you knew what they are plugging in when the fuse goes and encourage them not to. What do you think? At least until it can be investigated more thoroughly. Might be faulty equipment or overload from too many things on at the same time.

In my opinion they recently had a boiler fitted the old system was obviously removed. Some how they blew the 30a fuse so swapped the now redundant 15a fuse into the 30a carrier. When the high draw loads from the kitchen started to blow the 15a fuse as all the house sockets are on 1 fuse.

I certainly would be calling them back to rectify that as they have, by what you say, underfused the existing circuit and should be obliged to rectify it.
Problem is we have no proof it just looks to be something along those lines. All the carriers had fused in but now there is a 30A fuse missing and a 15A in the red carrier and an empty 15A slot.

Problem is we have no proof it just looks to be something along those lines. All the carriers had fused in but now there is a 30A fuse missing and a 15A in the red carrier and an empty 15A slot.
Hasn't the boiler got a fused spur feeding it with an appropriate size cartridge fuse fitted?

In my opinion they recently had a boiler fitted the old system was obviously removed. Some how they blew the 30a fuse so swapped the now redundant 15a fuse into the 30a carrier. When the high draw loads from the kitchen started to blow the 15a fuse as all the house sockets are on 1 fuse.

OP, assuming your in-laws house is a typical small pensioners property, I'm wondering why the 15a fuse is blowing? Again assuming its going after a period of time? What have your in-laws plugged into their sockets,any electric fires. Most modern appliances draw moderate amounts of load. Or does the fuse blow suddenly, e.g. when the boiler system is turned on?

OP, assuming your in-laws house is a typical small pensioners property, I'm wondering why the 15a fuse is blowing? Again assuming its going after a period of time? What have your in-laws plugged into their sockets,any electric fires. Most modern appliances draw moderate amounts of load. Or does the fuse blow suddenly, e.g. when the boiler system is turned on?

No pal it's quite large. Was a typical council house which they bought and extended then had a loft conversion. Going from 3 bed to 6. Big family but only 2 "kids" left at home. Usually seems to be in the morning with washer dryer heater hair straighteners at all running.
Never had a problem with everyone at home, it only started with the cold weather the other week. There is only 1 circuit for all the sockets including the kitchen.
I'll say again I'm totally convinced someone has changed the fuse but I won't let them change it back without it being tested.

Reply to How to check if a fuse feeds a ring final or 2 radial circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock