Discuss How to connect cables - The American way! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You may not believe this, I was working in Canada about 15 years back, and all of the lighting connections was done using screwits, anyway I had to rewire/move a TP&N supply to a large shredding machine the cable was Canadian, I suppose about equivalent to our 16mm, couldn't rewire all in one go due to various reason, so I needed to joint these cables in one of their large conduit boxes, we had an account at the Home Depot (B&Q) and got most of our stuff from them.
I said to the guy in charge of the electrical section if I could have a look at a suitable joint for the cable, not kidding he brought out a box with some very large screwits inside about as big as a shot glass, had to decline and made my own joints up.

Aaw Pete, where was your sense of adventure ?:)

Can't say I've used them on anything big, about 2.5mm flexible being the biggest but I've never seen them come loose when done properly.
Seems to be some misconception that wires need to be twisted together first, not so. The manufacturers tell you to lay the stripped ends of the wires, side by side.
Place your wire nut over the top & the twist it on, the action of twisting on will twist the wires & join them securely together.
Very rarely seen the yank guys using tape on them, heat shrink to seal the joint yes.

I nipped into a neighbours after work yesterday to sort out some lighting issues (5 different issues. 5 different rooms!) I used for the first time the 'ideal' push fits in the light fitting as no 3 plate and earth and wiring was a right old mess. I tidied and re terminated using the push fits with some new singles in places and not only was it neat and easy to do - it sorted out that one lighting problem. I used the money for a takeaway.
Until this job I was unsure of push fits, didn't really like them in modern lighting jb's but I think I'll give them a go on occasion.

Bet like the rest of us, you said the same about Wago's when they came out. Most of us use them nowadays though
How correct you were. Posted the above on 8/04 and have used push fits twice since both times positive and neat results that I wouldn't have achieved with screw terminals.

The lever connectors are pretty neat as well. We've probably all done it mate, something new comes on the market & we say no it won't catch on or I'll never use those etc. Then a few years later we'll end up having to try them & wonder why the hell we didn't use them all along.

The lever connectors are pretty neat as well. We've probably all done it mate, something new comes on the market & we say no it won't catch on or I'll never use those etc. Then a few years later we'll end up having to try them & wonder why the hell we didn't use them all along.
Another one converted :D
"Push fit connectors" for life (Can't narrow it down to one certain brand that rhymes with may-go)

Hopefully there has been researching and testing behind the availability of these now in the UK. Yes, they are universally used in the Americas where cable is often multi strand. They are quick and effective. By twisting, the contact area between the cables is improved. By using a spring, the joint remains in constant tension even if there is some movement. However, 2.5mm2 strands are probably too stiff to work well with this - better for 1mm and below.

We are getting more devices that feature these design points. Please let's not be over loyal to the UK designs which come from a previous time of many high current devices and few low. It is now the other way around and aspects of our designs, like lighting circuits, look increasingly over-engineered.

The American's don't sheath their earth (ground) wires either. Should we ?

My time with the GPO (as was), wires atop a telegraph pole were spliced in this way. The inner of the plastic cover was filled with something like vaseline. Only 50v, but fully exposed and no tape wrap.

Reply to How to connect cables - The American way! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net