Discuss How to layout mutiple surface mains sockets in log cabin? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

buntonn

Hello I have just had a new log cabin put into our back garden, I will be using this as my home office as I work from home a lot. I will be running 10mm armoured cable from the house CU to the log cabin and have purchased a new 6 way CU for the cabin. I am now sorting out the mains sockets, where my desk is I need 7 plugs currently and don't see that increasing anytime soon, but rather than add 8 sockets want to install 10 to future proof it a bit.

Do I just get five 2 gang pattress boxes to mount on the surface and fix them side my side breaking out side on most for the 2.5mm wire to feed between each box? If so do I keep them snug or leave a small gap?

I hope I have made myself clear, if not just let me know what I have missed.

Thank you for reading and any advise you can share.

Nick

Dado trunking if you are going to fit side by side, but yes are you an electrician.

No, just wanted to do the donkey work of laying out the kit I want and then I need an electrician to come do all the wiring up and fitting the CU for me.

No worries it is a neat solution and it will contain any data requirements.

I want to believe your good intentions but @Murdoch has made a pessimist. I'd leave the lot to the Electrician because you will probably bodge the boxes on and the spark will have to redo the lot anyway. It takes 30 mins to box up anyway, your skills are best suited to digging the trench for the 10mm. Have fun!

That was why I was asking for advice, I have no intention on bodging the boxes in a cabin I just spent a good few K on tbh! I have the trench in hand. I am more than capable of fitting surface mount boxes, just wanted to seek the correct way to do it.

You'll save no money by fixing the boxes yourself, the electrician will probably just take them off again before putting the cables in if its clipped surface wiring.

metalclad sockets, Polished MICC cable, see davesparks' pics of same in a log cabin.

I hate it when people try to do half my work. If you was getting a new boiler would you mount the boiler for the gas engineer......no. as already said let the spark do the work because if it was me id still charge you the same even if you mounted the boxes just because you p**sed me off.

I hate it when people try to do half my work. If you was getting a new boiler would you mount the boiler for the gas engineer......no. as already said let the spark do the work because if it was me id still charge you the same even if you mounted the boxes just because you p**sed me off.
DIGGING THE TRENCH IS ANOTHER MATTER. I'D GLADLY FOREGO THAT PLEASURE.

oops, cap. lock strikes again.

Hi @buntonn .
You are probably peeved that people are saying 'get an electrician in'. Yes you want to do some of the work and also save some money. I'd go with @Vortigern post #13.

Short boring story: I'm not a Domestic electrician and I have no test equipment, so when I wanted some work done in my kitchen I got an electrician in to do it. I also got a cert at the end. If there is a fire in my kitchen and the insurance asks for any certs I have now covered my ---.

Reply to How to layout mutiple surface mains sockets in log cabin? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net