Discuss How to retrain as a cable jointer?? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markthespark

Hi i am currently working as an electrician i have been doing it for about 4 years now and im fed up and need a change i have always been interested in the electricity distribution network and cable jointing.

I was wondering how i would go about retraining as a LV cable jointer?

I have seen various courses on the internet for about 6 grand but i dont want to pay all that money and they not be able to get a job because i dont have any experience.

Also i dont want to be classed as a bog standard apprentice on rice and bread per hour as i couldnt really afford much of a pay cut.

Does anyone have experience of jointing on here? I would be interested to know what you thought of it and the downsides and benefits?

Cheers

I dont know anything about cable jointers, but couldn't you loose a day a week as an electrician for a cable jointer, and slowly go into that skill, then 2 days, 3 days, then full time etc

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah thats what id like to do, buts its finding a company who will let me do that, im willing to pay for my training i just need some part time onsite experience to become competant.

Most firms that carryout cable jointing are REC's and large utility companys who arnt really interested.

hi mark, don`t want to put you off,each to their own and all that, but next time it`s wet and windy look out the window then imagine standing in a bucket up the height of a pole your face and hands numb,soaked through and no one offering a cup of tea.Spent years doing it then decided to do domestic electrics instead and never looked back.but good luck whatever you decide.mark111

Hi Mark thanks for that yeah ive thought about that and everytime i have to go outside in the cold i hate it ha, but this is something i am really interested in, until i see it for myself i think i will always keep trying. Im doing domestic electrics at the moment and i find it so boring, theres no interest there at all.

Cheers for the advice tho mate

Reply to How to retrain as a cable jointer?? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock