Discuss How to run electric to my shed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You mean prostitute himself.....disgusting! :)
it would appear as though this thread has run its course, and lee has had all the sensible advice he is likely to get.
surely it can now be closed?

ps- lee- I understand why you asked, and understand why you want to do the job yourself, but as I'm sure you're now aware, it ain't as straight forward as you first envisaged. with that in mind, just get a sparky to do it for you, and save some cash by digging the trench for them. when you were a joiner, did you not meet any sparkies and become mates? you could always do a job for a job if that's possible...

Like you, I've been through that with my mum, but because my parents lived a prudent life, it cost her £195.00 per day for the last 5 months of her life.

Yes, mine led a prudent life too ..... same living room carpet for 40 something years same with the kitchen. No central heating - just an open fire that burned smokeless fuel. Never spent a penny on the house, never had a holiday abroad or even left the country. Dad worked for the same firm for over 30 years all hours that God sent - even Christmas day more than once and paid his dues.

Meanwhile, another bloke working in the same job did the bare minimum, had holidays abroad every five minutes and saved nothing. Guess who got all the help when it was needed.

The last time I asked for something for Mum, the two Social Workers arrived and all they were interested in was getting yet another Financial Assessment completed, then they wondered why I threw them down the front steps ...........

Where's Lee gone now. It's all gone quiet over there!

He's been to B&Q, got his 1mm 2 core cable and wrapped it in insulation tape (mechanical protection) and installed it... job done....

Regardless of any of the good advise that's been given to this idiot, he will still go ahead with his planned installation, because he like many others that come here, always think they know better!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently quoted for a shed, 22M 4mm swa run, under lawn and gravel path, RCD IP65 CU in shed, 2 sockets and one strip light, off house CU using an empty way.
Quote was just over £300 - chased up response as was told way too expensive not going ahead.
Must learn to say no to domestic......

yet same idiots will not bat an eyelid at £1000+ for a boiler from BG, or £6000 for a weetabix based kitchen

I always cringe now when someone asks for a quote for outbuilding or pond supplies, and usually tell them over the phone that they're most likely looking at a few hundred pounds. That's when they say "but it's only for a few sockets and a light. I was expecting it to be under £50".
Saves me a wasted trip.

Like me , your flogging a dead horse in Norfook , Keep getting phone calls , how much is it to issue a certificate , or I've had a look in Screwfix book.

So then, if Part P exists in England and Wales, does this mean in Scotland it is a free for all and anyone can wire up anything? No building or notification regs?

So then, if Part P exists in England and Wales, does this mean in Scotland it is a free for all and anyone can wire up anything? No building or notification regs?
There's plenty of regs! Having worked in both countries I can honestly say that the Scottish system is much clearer and easier to work to, also, the Electrical Trainee problem is much less as the scheme's do not have part P to use as a lever

Last edited by a moderator:
There's plenty of regs! Having worked in both countries I can honestly say that the Scottish system is much clearer and easier to work to, also, the Electrical Trainee problem is much less as the scheme's do not have part P to use as a lever

So WHO is determining them as competent then??

I was under the impression that you needed a SJIB registration number to notify work to the LABC??

So WHO is determining them as competent then??

I was under the impression that you needed a SJIB registration number to notify work to the LABC??
The NICEIC and SELECT are the schemes which operate up here but a lot of what is notifiable in England is not notifiable in Scotland. The standards which are required to have work passed by the LABC varies from area to area. Most of them like to see a photocopy of your SJIB card to go along with the test certs which you supply when an installation is completed. There are still people operating who are not qualified but there doesn't seem to be as much of a problem as you cannot just do a short course or a night course and then be registered as an electrician or domestic installer. To be graded as an electrician in Scotland you must have served a full apprenticeship or have a lot of years & experience along with cast iron references. The SJIB seem to be much stricter than the JIB.......that's I how I understand it anyway!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe our jock brothers can answer that one.

I am no brother of yours! lol

Reply to How to run electric to my shed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock