Discuss How to run electric to my shed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GEORDIE!!! I can understand TB coming out with a statement lie that but I had you pegged as an honest, hard working lad.

This type of thread must pop up often and I dare say most will go ahead and do it anyway. Whilst I would not like to advise helping them connect to consumer unit etc can we not advise them of buried swa terminated into a joint box protected by a RCD plug and 13A fuse and the other wired into a double socket or 2 in the shed.lights and all on plugs not ideal but if done correctly its cheap and safe and must be better than bodged twin and earth in hosepipes etc. and no part P

Last edited by a moderator:
This type of thread must pop up often and I dare say most will go ahead and do it anyway. Whilst I would not like to advise helping them connect to consumer unit etc can we not advise them of buried swa termanated into a joint box protected by a RCD plug and 13A fuse and the other wired into a double socket or 2 in the shed.lights and all on plugs not ideal but if done correctly its cheap and safe and must be better than bodged twin and earth in hosepipes etc. and no part P

The thing is, how would any Local Authority know if someone has wired up their shed without notifying or getting a qualified person to do the work? It scares me when DIYers appear on these sort of forums and think its as simple as wiring a plug!

This type of thread must pop up often and I dare say most will go ahead and do it anyway. Whilst I would not like to advise helping them connect to consumer unit etc can we not advise them of buried swa terminated into a joint box protected by a RCD plug and 13A fuse and the other wired into a double socket or 2 in the shed.lights and all on plugs not ideal but if done correctly its cheap and safe and must be better than bodged twin and earth in hosepipes etc. and no part P
been asleep have you?....

The thing is, how would any Local Authority know if someone has wired up their shed without notifying or getting a qualified person to do the work? It scares me when DIYers appear on these sort of forums and think its as simple as wiring a plug!

Read his other posts. My thinks we have a smart arse on our hands. This forum is supposed to be for professional sparks!

Crack on Lee its easy mate.Just make sure you do a ZS test at the fuseboard first and ascertain wether your DNO has installed a TNS,TT,TNC or PME system and make sure all the Equipotential CPC is 17th edition compliant.Then decide what sort of cable you want to use its up to you,you can use T+E,LSF,SWA or LV.Make sure you use IP rated glands though.As the work you are doing is classed as being in a special location you will probably have to fit a RCBO into your fuseboard.Once you have selected the cable you are using calculate your volt drop which will tell you what size you need.Dont forget to use diversity when you are calculating the size of your main overcurrent protection device.If you dont know how to do the calculations get a copy of the latest regs book its only £65 and the OSG is really handy as well and thats only £20.After that its simply a matter of wiring it all up.Before you energize it make sure you do an Insulation resistance and continuity test.The best thing to do these with are MFT's you can pick a cheap one up for about £750.Then you will have to notify your local council to come and sign it off.I dont know what they charge in your neck of the woods as they are all different but i know where i live there is a minimum charge of £250.Also you have to notify them before you start work.The worst that can happen is you will have a fire or someone will get killed by electrocution

Or you could just pay a spark to do it
in the UK?...

i would hope not fella...

He lives in Scotland and the post started 12 months ago.......Hope this puts your minds to rest boys

did notice that and also the amount of stick the poster got whilst some think it deserved. I feel advise of the type i posted is better than a beating even if its only with a keyboard

cheers myke

Well your entitled to your opinion. If he can make sense of the paragraph above he's doing better than me

Well your entitled to your opinion. If he can make sense of the paragraph above he's doing better than me

You didnt read my post!

This is exactly what I mean. this is supposed to be a forum for helping electricians (as we all don't know everything. (except a certain few on here who may be knowledgeable but must be here for the same reasons as me as I don't)
I see there is a DIY section but when you arrive at this forum from a search engine (like I did) it takes you to the results not the DIY section.
What I was trying to say was how about constuctive advise moving to correct section and if possible suggest an alternative.
Instead The selective "WE" at the forum want to rubbish folk from the otherside of a keyboard I dont like this

THE ANSWER I GAVE WAS NOT FOR THE OP BUT FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED AND WAS NOT A HOW TO.

But will write you one if you like

parts list
3mm green/yellow sleeving
3mm blue sleeving
M4 ring terminal
2 way conduit box with lid and screws
15A block connector
length of 1.5mm 3 core cable
metal clad double socket
rcd plug
10m of 3 core swa 1.5mm
20mm gland pack
a few cable cleats and screw to fix
and a spade

Why do "the board " rubbish people or allow this to happen..

this is totally off topic now and if you or anyone else wants to discuss this lets do it on another post not seen a general discussion area but if someone will point me the way Thanks in advance.

I also would like to thank the contributors who have helped me in the past I have not asked for help but using search found the answer of a question asked by another poster.

You didnt read my post!This is exactly what I mean. this is supposed to be a forum for helping electricians (as we all don't know everything. (except a certain few on here who may be knowledgeable but must be here for the same reasons as me as I don't)I see there is a DIY section but when you arrive at this forum from a search engine (like I did) it takes you to the results not the DIY section.What I was trying to say was how about constuctive advise moving to correct section and if possible suggest an alternative.Instead The selective "WE" at the forum want to rubbish folk from the otherside of a keyboard I dont like thisTHE ANSWER I GAVE WAS NOT FOR THE OP BUT FOR THE PEOPLE WHO ANSWERED AND WAS NOT A HOW TO.But will write you one if you like parts list3mm green/yellow sleeving3mm blue sleevingM4 ring terminal2 way conduit box with lid and screws 15A block connectorlength of 1.5mm 3 core cablemetal clad double socketrcd plug10m of 3 core swa20mm gland packa few cable cleats and screw to fix and a spadeWhy do "the board " rubbish people or allow this to happen..this is totally off topic now and if you or anyone else wants to discuss this lets do it on another post not seen a general discussion area but if someone will point me the way Thanks in advance.I also would like to thank the contributors who have helped me in the past I have not asked for help but using search found the answer of a question asked by another poster.
11 posts and you are trying to dictate how the forum operates - I don't think so, nor do I think you work as a spark so remember this forum is for sparks to help sparks - NOT GIVE PARTS LISTS to Joe Public!!

@ Murdock
I dont dictate on here how can I? was discussing a point is that not what forums are for? and now what I said has happened to me. no doubt my name will be changed to pretend electrician cos I aint part Peeing in your pot.

Anyway I was trying to be constructive and this is not so will end this now unless you also want to be constructive.

Reply to How to run electric to my shed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net