Discuss How to test earth leakage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

the pooks

I am not an electrician but would nevertheless understand what the normal procedure is to test earth leakage / isolate an earth leakage problem.

One way is to switch all the switches off at the main DB board, switch them on one by one and see which one triggers the earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB). Trouble with this is, in my case the ELCB only tripped after several minutes. I eventually narrowed the problem down to a certain freezer.

Another way is to use a clamp on earth leakage current meter. As I understand this is just a super sensitive current meter that can read in the range of milliamps. My questions is: does one clamp the meter over the live and neatral of a circuit (to measure any imbalance) or does one clamp over the earth (which can be tricky in a DB board). It should give the same result as any imbalance live/neutral imbalance is supposed to go to earth. What is the normal procedure.

Thanks

As yellowvanman says for usage. However bear in mind that a trip can be caused by a cummulative effect from more than one appliance/device. That's why you would normally ramp test the rcd to establish at what current it's tripping. Then try to account for that leakage current from each circuit (if the rcd covers more than one circuit) then down to each appliance/device. Hope that helps.

As yellowvanman says for usage. However bear in mind that a trip can be caused by a cummulative effect from more than one appliance/device. That's why you would normally ramp test the rcd to establish at what current it's tripping. Then try to account for that leakage current from each circuit (if the rcd covers more than one circuit) then down to each appliance/device. Hope that helps.

Trouble with ramps tests, is that they are only an indication as to area of trip level, as very few test instruments ramp up in 1mA stages, but rather in multiples of anything from 3 to 5mA. The only accurate means of knowing the trip level and or actual leakage currents in a circuit is by use of a mA clamp meter....

am not an electrician but would nevertheless understand what the normal procedure is to test earth leakage / isolate an earth leakage problem.

Clampmeters aside

Insulation resistance testing is the standard means of testing for earth leakage
Clampmeters can identify the quantity and give good indicators,but they dont tell you why that leakage has occured

Use an insulation resistance tester before clamping

am not an electrician but would nevertheless understand what the normal procedure is to test earth leakage / isolate an earth leakage problem.

Clampmeters aside

Insulation resistance testing is the standard means of testing for earth leakage
Clampmeters can identify the quantity and give good indicators,but they dont tell you why that leakage has occured

so what kind of reading would you expect doing insulation resistance on circuit with leakage... maybe im asking a wrong question. is it just a low reading??? cheers

Clampmeters aside

IR is for when you don't know you have a problem Des (it lets you know you have a problem). He knows he has a problem and is now trying to find it (the second stage).

As an example where IR testing won't help, take this (recent scenario).

Worktop cooker connected to ring with an element starting to fail (only shows when element under stress (heating up)). IR tests are fine on static circuit. Even earth leakage is minimal (below rcd threashold) when worktop cooker just turned on.

Even PAT testing the cooker didn't help.

On reflection, I think I agree that IR testing is the correct method for any passive system testing ... and that earth leakage detection should be used for an active system. If that makes sense?

Reply to How to test earth leakage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net