Discuss HV AP + SAP Training in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Looking at doing an AP course as i'm keen to get into the O&M side of MW scale solar, I'm after some advice from people in the HV industry.

There are a couple of City & Guilds accredited courses around but do they make you employable? Has anyone done one or put staff through one? If you are involved with HV would you use a contractor/sole trader with one of these certificates but no real switching experience?

Most of the guys i'm working with have come up through the DNO's or the big generators so they don't know much about the courses on offer outside that world.

Any help much appreciated.

Did my last AP/HV/LV with Burn Hall training, some of the switchgear manufacturers do training as well

I did mine at Hoylake, they offered a C&G cert for switching. Wasn't the easiest qualification. I wouldn't employ someone just on that alone though, smart enough you could pass without prior experience.

I did mine at Hoylake, they offered a C&G cert for switching. Wasn't the easiest qualification. I wouldn't employ someone just on that alone though, smart enough you could pass without prior experience.
How long was the AP/HV course

A week with a 4 hour theory and then 4 hour practical. However you needed proof of at least 2 years prior experience. I had this in a written letter from the MD of the company I worked at.

The course I did was just a refresher we had to do every couple of years, the name of the training center I first did my AP/SAP course with escapes me.

A week with a 4 hour theory and then 4 hour practical. However you needed proof of at least 2 years prior experience. I had this in a written letter from the MD of the company I worked at.

The course I did was just a refresher we had to do every couple of years, the name of the training center I first did my AP/SAP course with escapes me.
I started my AP training at RAF Cardington as I worked for the DoE I lapsed and had to do my refresher at Burn Hall, the HV course was 2 weeks with a written exam and a switching program during the last 2 days, you didn't know if you got your ticket until you got back to work, I also did AP/LV AP/Confined spaces, A/P Steam Boilers and a few others I can't recall.

Hi I did my HV AP/SAP C&G training at Taunton at the WPD college. Not sure if that's still available as I did it back in 2005. I have since done the course and refreshers at E-On but they are a long way up north from you.

Hi I did my HV AP/SAP C&G training at Taunton at the WPD college. Not sure if that's still available as I did it back in 2005. I have since done the course and refreshers at E-On but they are a long way up north from you.

Hi DAvid,

I have a lot of WPD guys on site that pointed me in that direction but their training center is apparently so busy with their own guys now they have a never ending waiting list.

e

Hi DAvid,

I have a lot of WPD guys on site that pointed me in that direction but their training center is apparently so busy with their own guys now they have a never ending waiting list.

e
Yes but you would be a paying customer, probably do their own guys FOC

Sterling power do the courses & I think they do a few different courses LV - HV, I was looking at a couple of courses the other day & see on the website AP course

Reply to HV AP + SAP Training in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock