Discuss I am not a tool tart just a practical person! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

You really don't have to cut deep just score, I was teaching a young guy this (just finished his EAL level 3) and challenged him on how fast his method (split and pull) and mine was. Just score bend and pull beat him timewise no problem, he still said it's a load of ..........!

I'll have to treat myself to a decent knife (any excuse) and give it a whirl. May be do some practising on cable I pull out. Any recommendations for a good knife that's going to last?

As for the youngster... I don't get it... I appreciate advice and constructive criticism, it's how we learn to do things better. And well, if I can get a neater finish, quicker... WIN WIN! :D

worth investing in
Believe me I have used side cutters and pliers for the past forty five years then a tool for spinning around sheaths then a cable stripper. Reaching for tools and changing up ladders not good. I was shown it by another electrician and yeh bought it. I wouldn't be without them they do the job of all the above cutting down the risk of tools falling and one tool no changing. I am surprised and I suppose it teaches me not to be so hidebound and set in my ways.

you can't use it in tight spots
I can, I often straigten existing rough edges on metal back box cables I have really cottoned on the the Morris method and like it. It just looks like a proper electrician has been on the job. It's just much more professional looking, with a bit of science as to why.

I use a Gerber EAB knife for day to day stuff easily changeable Stanley knife blades, For the weekend its either a machete or a stiletto flick knife.

I tried some out and didn't like them, well not entirely dis-liked. I keep them in my "occasional use" tool kit, that I keep in my car so I don't have to lug round loads of tools to do a quick small job. But for day to day I just couldn't get comfy using them, I guess I'm just old school :)
i'll give you a tenner for them.

must have tool for stripping SWA cores, LSF, and flex.

s-l500.jpg

I can, I often straigten existing rough edges on metal back box cables I have really cottoned on the the Morris method and like it. It just looks like a proper electrician has been on the job. It's just much more professional looking, with a bit of science as to why.
Morris method ?

I'll have to treat myself to a decent knife (any excuse) and give it a whirl. May be do some practising on cable I pull out. Any recommendations for a good knife that's going to last?

As for the youngster... I don't get it... I appreciate advice and constructive criticism, it's how we learn to do things better. And well, if I can get a neater finish, quicker... WIN WIN! :D

Take a look in somewhere like LH Evans, they do a traditional Electricians pocket knife and a CK Cable knife.

I've got both but the one I use more nowadays is the pocketknife, the Cable knife I keep for Armoured.

Reply to I am not a tool tart just a practical person! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net