Discuss I phone charger went bang in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Tim

-
Reaction score
Got back from work, phone battery was low so i picked up my charger (which i had left plugged in to an extension lead all day) and bang. Tripped out the mcb and partly popped off the plastic cover of the charger, and its all black inside and my flat now smells of fried circuit board.

Morale of the story, unplug your chargers.

I phone charger went bang ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366746458.171136 - EletriciansForums.net

Tim

like trigger says. "look after your broom"

I think chargers are more of a hazard than most people imagine. We had a small fire in our workshop overnight when a AA / AAA battery charger caught alight, luckily it didn't spread because it was a steel bench and there was nothing combustible in the vicinity. Plus a friend of mine had a major fire the gutted his garage and part of his house. They investigated and found his drill battery charger was the cause.

It was a genuine apple one, about 4 years old.

I never usually leave the extension leads and chargers on but i must have forgot after a few cans last night.

Thing is, this is the second one to go bang in a year, the last one only survived a couple of weeks but it was a crappy import one.

Got back from work, phone battery was low so i picked up my charger (which i had left plugged in to an extension lead all day) and bang. Tripped out the mcb and partly popped off the plastic cover of the charger, and its all black inside and my flat now smells of fried circuit board.

View attachment 18655

Tim

the innards look more like a cheaper make to me, if you pull the PCB out and look at the back you will find that the tracks on it have burned away, what has happened is that the thin copper tracks printed on the back(well actually etched into links) have burned off the back of the circuit board, this happens when they are left warm for long periods, the track lifts/peels off the board, splits then arcs, this flashover also hits the remaining tracks on the cold side as well as completely burning away the "hot" side of the board....other components commonly die as a result as well...

the photo isn't very clear, is the capacitor on the top right of the picture (the radial electrolytic) next to the 4N23 swollen /charred or is that just a black pen mark on it from the factory?

you can see the smoke pattern (on the plastic socket plate base) radiates outwards from the hot side of the board where the two links from the plug pins go through the circuit board and are soldered in (the two small yellow link wires) so the track seems to be the instigator of the failure, due to overheating.....if you were not in at the time and had not disturbed this, I would say that after another 90 minutes to 2 hours, this would have gone on fire, and would possibly have taken the house with it....

I would not leave any kind of plugtop charger plugged in while not in use, and especially so not when away from the house/office/canteen etc...

I also don't like the piece of yellow insulating tape that has been used on manufacture to insulate/separate the plug pin connections from the component legs and USB power terminal, as you can see on the plug base(the yellow tape in the bottom half of the picture)

double posted

Last edited:

View attachment 18655

Tim
so thats what they look like inside then...

Reply to I phone charger went bang in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock