Discuss Iboost and immersion heater thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

jestur

-
Reaction score
Hi All,
more by way of a query really, we had an Iboost (immersion heater proportional controller for diverting excess solar power) installed when our panels were put in last october and the thermostat recently failed on the immersion heater - in such as way as the Iboost keeps providing power to the immersion until the secondary safety cutout trips. THis happened initially on the one sunny day in january and i reset the thermal cutout, to see if it was a one off, and the next sunny day it tripped again (so i have left it off for now until the thermostat can be replaced by a competent person.)
It is a new house and so still under warranty and talking to the guy that came to look he said that the only other person on the estate that had a failed thermostat also had a immersion diverter. and that as we had modified the system it wouldn't be covered by the warranty. Not that concerned about the warranty aspect, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether the iboost and similar proportional controllers do lead to failure of the thermostats. or is it simply that the thermostats are simply prone to failure.

The system is a pressurised hot water system - heated by gas condenser boiler normally, so i figured that the only people likely to use the immersion would be people with this type of proportional controller as gas is inherently cheaper. so could either be unreliable thermostats and most aren't being used or something about the proportional controller is leading to early failure. I have read a few forums where people say they have had to have the thermostat replaced but only one or two.

The immersion and iboost are off at present i figured that was the safest until i can get someone to change the thermostat.

while everything was operational it appeared to work well so i am hoping i have just been unlucky and i might get more than 4 months out of the next thermostat.

Any thoughts welcome

Jestur

Nobody else's will have failed yet because it won't be used when their gas boiler is heating the hot water.
Since you are using the immersion heater yours will wear out or show up any faults.

I think the idea of voiding the warranty in this situation is a load of nonsense, but would have to check the law to confirm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the idea of voiding the warranty in this situation is a load of nonsense,

Me Too.

Effectively what he is saying is because the installation now has Solar and the Immersion controller, none of the installation will be covered.
It's being supplied by non standard electricity.

They'll be 10's of thousands of home owners with remaining warranty and with Solar who'll disagree with that.

Yep, an absolute load of old cobblers unless there is a line in the warranty which states, "if you fit solar panels or an iboost your warranty is null and void" Contact the warranty provider and ask them to pay to have the thermostat replaced, if they refuse write to them by recorded delivery giving them 14 days to agree to remedy, state in this letter that if they fail to honour the warranty you will lodge a county court claim for the cost of having the work completed, I bet it doesn't get that far! If you have legal expenses insurance get them on board to do the work for you.

Thanks for the advice all, will chase warranty supplier and get a replacement.
Any thoughts on whether supplying a variable power supply to the thermostat (such as the iboost) would / could or may cause premature failure of the thermostat.

thanks

jestur

Reply to Iboost and immersion heater thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net