Discuss Identifying Asbestos. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

anfield84

Hi I was just wondering how one identify asbestos inside a wwall example old pplasterboard
apologies but I am new to this trade. Any help identify in asbestos wwould be appreciated

Hi Anfield84.

I've made your post into a new thread for you, the thread you tagged it on the end of was dormant for nearly 4 years.

Last edited:
Hi I was just wondering how one identify asbestos inside a wwall example old pplasterboard
apologies but I am new to this trade. Any help identify in asbestos wwould be appreciated

Best bet is to go onto the HSE website and type in asbestos - there's loads of info, photos etc there. If working on/in a building, you can ask to see their Asbestos Register. They must have one and must show you - how accurate it is, is another question!

Read the information Polo1 has mentioned above and always remember that it is not possible to tell what is asbestos by looking at it (though some items are fairly clearly very likely to be asbestos).
In general you need to know the likely history of asbestos use and the age of installation of a suspect item, this information is rarely available.
If there are items that you have a good belief may be asbestos then analysis of a sample is the only way to categorically identify the type and so the remedial actions that may need to be taken.
Also remember that there is a lot of asbestos still about in many many places.

I agree with the replies in part, but remember that an asbestos register is probably only from a visual or a non-intrusive survey, that is one that does not look at anything that may be hidden and does not make any holes. The question infers that you are going into a stud wall or similar to run a cable? Depending on the age of the wall it may have asbestos as part of it, particularly if any fire protection may have been required. The client or organisation should have an intrusive survey done as part of the job but the recommendation to look at the HSE site for examples etc. is a good one as you never know what you may find and it could be lethal to you. If the building was put up in year 2000 or later then asbestos was banned and thus it should not have any in it. There are short courses to familiarise trades people with asbestos that many employers send their staff on (or have them in house) and some videos that are good to watch as well.

Some good advice being posted so far, from me if you think it's asbestos then treat the material as being asbestos, full relevant PPE precautions required.
Remember, you will not know if you have been exposed until possibly 10, 20 or 30yrs down the line.
Be safe always.

Firstly i would strongly recommend going on a asbestos day course. You only need the Cat B one really which isnt even a day long but very informative.
I would also say you should buy this book

HSE HSG210 Asbestos Essentials

Ive got a copy and keep it in the car. It goes into the principals of asbestos, the laws working with it, where it is commonly found (with pictures) and the remaining half of the book is broken down into activities and how to carry them out. For example, drilling AIB, removing floor tiles etc. Worth its weight in gold that book

What you never want to do is just ignore the stuff though. It can be fatal in rather horrible ways and not just to you working with it. If you're working with it in peoples homes, it will have an effect on them if not managed right. Plus if the HSE get wind of you working incorrectly with it they will have kittens and "i didn't know it was asbestos" is not an excuse!

Also, do not be afraid to turn down work based on having to work on the stuff. If you cant work on it safely, it isn't worth the money you may earn. Its nasty, nasty stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the replies in part, but remember that an asbestos register is probably only from a visual or a non-intrusive survey, that is one that does not look at anything that may be hidden and does not make any holes. The question infers that you are going into a stud wall or similar to run a cable? Depending on the age of the wall it may have asbestos as part of it, particularly if any fire protection may have been required. The client or organisation should have an intrusive survey done as part of the job but the recommendation to look at the HSE site for examples etc. is a good one as you never know what you may find and it could be lethal to you. If the building was put up in year 2000 or later then asbestos was banned and thus it should not have any in it. There are short courses to familiarise trades people with asbestos that many employers send their staff on (or have them in house) and some videos that are good to watch as well.
Even before then, I agree otherwise with your post,

to add to the other comments from others, Asbestos can be in tiles in your bathroom, behind the flush box on your loo, and a lesser type but still potentially dangerous on garage roofs lol, it can be in all sorts of places but modern houses will be fine.

Even before then, I agree otherwise with your post,

to add to the other comments from others, Asbestos can be in tiles in your bathroom, behind the flush box on your loo, and a lesser type but still potentially dangerous on garage roofs lol, it can be in all sorts of places but modern houses will be fine.

Just to add, it can be in early Artex too.

that would be the good old artex that smelt like cat pee, dried out white, and didn't need painting until you'd smoked your way through 500 packets of smokes.

And was used as glue to stick coving up,and as a fine filler before dry lining adhesive.:D
Made the dust sheets and work clothes smell like you said too.:icon11:

Reply to Identifying Asbestos. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock