Discuss Identifying unmarked mains cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

coopern

Help required on best way to identify unmarked, downstairs, painted over, pair of 2.5mm mains cables. The cables are below the consumer unit (1998) just above the skirting board, and I think they are probably the start and finish ends of the downstairs ring main, but they appear out of the wall plaster and after a few feet disappear into the plaster again. There's a solid floor. Would like to know whether there's a way to find out exactly what the cables are without cutting them or pulling up floorboards etc. If they are part of the ring main they could be a convenient point to locate an extra mains socket.

Do you have a mains/stud detector? If so you could use that. Switch off the breakers one at a time and see which one cuts off the power to the cable.

or even a voltstick.

I think you will find adding a socket to a cable where this is no slack to "play with" very difficult..

cut cable. wago both ends, bridge across, spur to socket faceplate.

How about not cutting the existing conductors and overlap or twist new spur cable conductors on the old. Fasten using 3 term junction box with grub screws. I think there's enough slack.

Reply to Identifying unmarked mains cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Essentially I have a "normal" socket in a ring mains, i.e. one 2.5mm T&E going in and one 2.5mm T&E going out. I am looking to simply add two more...
Replies
Views
Hello All Strange question for you, I know you don’t have crystal balls :) but can anyone give me any clue on the following… I have mid eighties...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Hi.... First time I've posted here. I own a property which is rented out. Recently the Gas Oven failed a gas safety test and the Gas Engineers...
Replies
Views
Hi all my dad was an electrician and did work on my house in the early 2000s , i had plaster wall lights and am now in the process of redecorating...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock