Discuss iet exam success book in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

17th edition iet exam success book. Does anyone in Manchester have this book? I've tried water stones and whsmith havnt got it in and can't for a week. I'm due to sit 17th ed exam on Friday but would like the book for revision. If anyone in and around the Manchester area has it and doesn't mind selling it give me a shout. Thanks

So long as you have a regs book just get familiar with where to find things in it, although you should know certain regs, sadly the exam is largely a how to use a book exercise.

Go to the college library, they'll have a copy there. Just borrow it and when you've passed (which you will) you can buy it

just read the regs,not all just get to know the lay out, when doing the exam all you have to do is find the answer in BGB, it's not hard, just think about how the exam works, it starts at the being of BGB and finishes at the end, you will have be able to cross cheek between regs as you go along as there will be questions that might need you to look at more than one reg, GOOD LUCK, and im sorry if this does not help but wife went out tonight so I have had A beer or 8

Cheers guys. I already have bgb and osg but just didn't really know what the exam entailed so I thought a bit of revision material would be good. I'll just use bgb for revision in that case. Thanks again

Cheers guys. I already have bgb and osg but just didn't really know what the exam entailed so I thought a bit of revision material would be good. I'll just use bgb for revision in that case. Thanks again

It is easy mate don't worry and to cover yourself if you own a dog take him along because if by some miracle you fail i can guarantee he won't. Good luck

The whole exam is about being able to cross reference things.

You can’t take the OSG in to the exam.

Have a look for the online test, you will know what to expect.

I'll bet you're in the pub having a drink before the times up. I don't know about all collages, I had my results before I left the building.

There's really no need to buy anything extra other than regs.
17th exam is just to prove you know how to use the book and find information in it
Just put sticky tags in to mark relative sections ie max zs tables or anything else you might struggle to find.
When you are sitting test go through first and answer all questions you know straight away
Then go back and do the ones your not sure of and need to check up in regs then go back to beginning again and try to sort any thats left don't forget to leave enough time to go through and check for stupid errors ie is your name on the top!
Finally don't panic it really isn't a difficult exam im sure you'll be fine

Thanks all.
While I'm at it, I'm also doing building regulations for electrical installations 2393 exam (Part P) the week after. Has anyone else done this who can shed a bit of light asto what it entails? That would be great.
I know its not a requirement to have this but my method of thinking is if I get all the electrical qualifications I can under my belt as early as I can I'll stand more chance of securing a long term job when compared to a Electrical Trainee who has the same/similar quals

Thanks all.
While I'm at it, I'm also doing building regulations for electrical installations 2393 exam (Part P) the week after. Has anyone else done this who can shed a bit of light asto what it entails? That would be great.
I know its not a requirement to have this but my method of thinking is if I get all the electrical qualifications I can under my belt as early as I can I'll stand more chance of securing a long term job when compared to a Electrical Trainee who has the same/similar quals

The 2393 is definitely a short course electrician sort of exam.
I have not taken it, but essentially it is addressing the application and management of electrical installation with respect to compliance with the building regulations.
It covers parts A, B E, F, L1 and M and how you can comply, where required.
It also covers which electrical installations are notifiable or not.

The easiest way to understand this is to get the current edition of the "electricians guide to the building regulations" or the NICEIC equivalent.
You can take these into the exam.
It would also be a good idea to read the approved documents available for free download on the planning portal.

Thanks Richard. I have electricians guide to building regs (iet publication) and approved document p (free download from gov website). I assumed it was just domestic installation regs ie just part p. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to iet exam success book in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net