Discuss If part P were abolished in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A lot has to be said of the individuals carrying out the work who just have a "that'll do" attitude and who have never seen a regs book , apart from the one they "borrowed " for the 17th exam.
It's these individuals who are niceic, napit etc , registered as approved contractors who also tarnish the industry.

Totally agree with you ian, but we can't slate them for not having their own copy of the Big Yellow book, On site guide etc. Don't forget that's Friday nights beer money they'd have to spend :).
Anyway, wouldn't be much point in them buying the books. Don't think half the buggers can even read :D

I think the scams are a big problem. As has been pointed out on here many times before, farming out oversight of domestic electrical work to companies who make their money from the same people they are overseeing was an idiotic idea. But then that's what happens when government policy is in effect made by private companies (huh? You say? Hold on I'll explain...). Tarquin studied PPE at Oxford, he resided in the same college as daddy used to, who was bestest chums with Hugh Daddy-Oldmoney, now the Minister for x. Tarquin has finished at Oxford and needs something to do so daddy's chummy-whummy gives him a job as Special Adviser for x in the Department (he's clever chap don't you know, went to Oxford). Of course Tarquin is keen to make his mark, and won't let the fact he knows f**k all about anything in his policy areas stop him (after all the Minister doesn't know anything about anything either, and the minions - civil service fast streamers who also went to Oxford, or that other one - also know f**k all, I mean, they were hired because they're super super smart right? Not cause they've got any relevant subject knowledge or industry experience right?). So no one's going to embarrass Tarquin by showing up his lack of knowledge, and besides, daddy's other chum, who is the director at so and so big business has said it just so happens they are lending out experts for free to the government to give them advice. How jolly nice of them, I'll introduce them to the minions, thinks Tarquin. They can be on the focus group. Oh what's that? They're offering to give some help to the sector affected by my policy area, they'll even put up most of the money! Six months later, Tarquin's minion is raising concerns that, now he's gotten to know one or two others in the sector, that so and so big businesses motivation for doing this lovely thing to help Tarquin might not be pure as the driven snow. Tarquin dismisses this as poppycock (besides so and so big business produced a nice glossy report showing how well they're doing and how much everyone loves them) and is glad the minion is moving on to his next 6 month fast stream posting next week...

Last edited:
I think the scams are a big problem. As has been pointed out on here many times before, farming out oversight of domestic electrical work to companies who make their money from the same people they are overseeing was an idiotic idea. But then that's what happens when government policy is in effect made by private companies (huh? You say? Hold on I'll explain...). Tarquin studied PPE at Oxford, he resided in the same college as daddy used to, who was bestest chums with Hugh Daddy-Oldmoney, now the Minister for x. Tarquin has finished at Oxford and needs something to do so daddy's chummy-whummy gives him a job as Special Adviser for x in the Department (he's clever chap don't you know, went to Oxford). Of course Tarquin is keen to make his mark, and won't let the fact he knows f**k all about anything in his policy areas stop him (after all the Minister doesn't know anything about anything either, and the minions - civil service fast streamers who also went to Oxford, or that other one - also know f**k all, I mean, they were hired because they're super super smart right? Not cause they've got any relevant subject knowledge or industry experience right?). So no one's going to embarrass Tarquin by showing up his lack of knowledge, and besides, daddy's other chum, who is the director at so and so big business has said it just so happens they are lending out experts for free to the government to give them advice. How jolly nice of them, I'll introduce them to the minions, thinks Tarquin. They can be on the focus group. Oh what's that? They're offering to give some help to the sector affected by my policy area, they'll even put up most of the money! Six months later, Tarquin's minion is raising concerns that, now he's gotten to know one or two others in the sector, that so and so big businesses motivation for doing this lovely thing to help Tarquin might not be pure as the driven snow. Tarquin dismisses this as poppycock (besides so and so big business produced a nice glossy report showing how well they're doing and how much everyone loves them) and is glad the minion is moving on to his next 6 month fast stream posting next week...
All pretty much true to form.

If part p was abolished i'd still be landing on a job with no certs etc , The point being its a start to clean up the trade like gas safe did . At the end of the day if your not doing your job right then These are the consequences. You now have to show certs to your rep etc and show compliance. How easy it was before being so lazy must be a good thing & also eventually consumers will stear clear of the wanna bees Getting you more work no?

Last edited:
If part p was abolished i'd still be landing on a job with no certs etc , The point being its a start to clean up the trade like gas safe did . At the end of the day if your not doing your job right then These are the consequences. You now have to show certs to your rep etc and show compliance. How easy it was before being so lazy must be a good thing & also eventually consumers will stear clear of the wanna bees Getting you more work no?
How does gas safe work in priciple

To put it simply there are no recommends/best practice or 6 suits to sign up to which incredibly includes Corgi !. Its 1 way or the highway. With Electrics its all interpritation x 6 . Dont get me wrong ' If it stays non statutory then we would hav no Forum LOL. Me Gas Safe +20

To put it simply there are no recommends/best practice or 6 suits to sign up to which incredibly includes Corgi !. Its 1 way or the highway. With Electrics its all interpritation x 6 . Dont get me wrong ' If it stays non statutory then we would hav no Forum LOL. Me Gas Safe +20
so what happens for any building control eg we have part P but plumbers have another part of building regs to comply with.

I am one of the old sparks you speak of, completed a JIB apprenticeship over 30 years ago, did my 17th edition and 2391, have rewired more houses than I care to remember, but sadly have to call upon someone with virtually no experience to work on my own house because of what I consider to be nothing more than a loophole.
The need for regulation is unquestionable but as is so often the way it was a rushed and badly conceived idea that should have been scrapped years ago.

Reply to If part P were abolished in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net