Discuss If your child ended up being a sparky, would you be proud of them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Like your take on it Lumie. I've got 3 daughters, Eldests a sparkie. Middle one is determined to be a Heavy plant mechanic, Youngest wants to teach primary kids. We support all of them in what they want to do, as long as it makes them happy and we're proud of all 3.
If all 3 had decided to be sparkies, that would have been fine with us too, it's an honest skilled trade & there are still some good, well paid jobs about.

Interesting point to have about highest potential. I see a lot of people (my younger self included) who believed that higher paid jobs, higher education were the only route to full potential. Which is wrong some of the happiest people I have ever met have low paying jobs a standard education and are perfectly content.

It's not the job someone does, it's the person they are which matters. I don't think you should ever compare yourself to anyone else as the saying goes your ceiling is someone else's floor will always be the case.

As long as my children are happy and fulfilled I don't mind what they do.
I agree and that was partially my point, being happy is the most important aspect in life in general, or what is the point?
A person's full potential is not always how well educated they are. You only have to look at - sports, arts, performing... some of the highest and most respected professions there are!
I guess my feelings are felt from personal experience. I know my father is very proud of me now, but he was definitely disappointed in my life choices during my younger years. I can see why, he felt I hadn't maximized on my full potential and worried I wouldn't achieve enough in life to be truly happy. He was not wrong, I made some poor choices and have had to drag myself from the gutter and make the most of what opportunities I was left with. He is proud of me for this, this I know. We all have to learn from our mistakes. But as parents we never want our children to make the same ones, even though sometimes those mistakes are necessary.

I think its all relative, or at least for me anyway. I'd be/am proud of anything my son achieves to his full potential. For example if he excels in school/college & Uni achieves high in his education and then he decided to become an apprentice spark (no disrespect) but I think I would feel a little disappointed. I think it's just that I would want the best for my son and would like to see him achieve much more than I ever did. If I was to choose my career over, then I very much doubt I'd be a spark. Even though I do enjoy some of the work I do, I've sort of "made do" for the most part just to earn a living.

I envy those folk who "love" their work.

But ultimately my Son's own happiness is all that really counts, so if being a sparky made him happy then I would be proud he was. Its a good respected trade to have with a lot of responsibility and requires a high level of intelligence, just a shame the earnings don't always reflect this.
Am I correct in thinking that there use to be a set level for wages known as the JIB rate by which all electricians earned the same rate of pay, I seem to remember that this use to keep up quite well with cost of living ,and with the London weighting and standardized travelling allowance the average wirepuller did quite well. what happened to this idea and maybe it could be resurrected to the advantage of all.

Am I correct in thinking that there use to be a set level for wages known as the JIB rate by which all electricians earned the same rate of pay, I seem to remember that this use to keep up quite well with cost of living ,and with the London weighting and standardized travelling allowance the average wirepuller did quite well. what happened to this idea and maybe it could be resurrected to the advantage of all.
There is a JIB rate however only applies to JIB related companies.

Reply to If your child ended up being a sparky, would you be proud of them? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net