Discuss Immersion timers keep failing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Subby

-
Reaction score
Hi all .
Have been to change an immersion timer for a Santon premier to210e invented cylinder.
This cylinder has a 3kw immersion element (240v)
I have fitted two different timers to replace the original but they have both failed after a few days of operating.
After a few days u no longer get 240v at the switched live terminal in the timer when the timer is calling for heat. This happened to both the timers I fitted (both 16A load rating) one mechanical from the electric merchants, one lap digital one from screwfix.
Why are the timers failing? The element works fine when I link out the timer. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for reading my question . What would cause these crap timers to fail in this way? The electrical merchant assured me the one he sold me was the best quality one he had (T104-c)

have you checked the supply from fused spur / double pole switch make sure no loose connections ect? same with immersion have you IR tested the element & made sure connections not burnt out & secure?

What was wrong with the original, same problem?

I cant see loose connections causing the internals on the timers to fail, you'd see evidence of that with charred connections.
It's part of life now going back and changing rubbish gear, possibly several times. I had a run of timeguard timers which failed resulting in 3 return visits for FA. Also had a number of 105va LV trannies fail on one particular downlight. 4 return visits and the last one has now been in for 3 years and still going.

There were no loose connections and I believe there was the same problem with the original

I cant see loose connections causing the internals on the timers to fail, you'd see evidence of that with charred connections.
It's part of life now going back and changing rubbish gear, possibly several times. I had a run of timeguard timers which failed resulting in 3 return visits for FA. Also had a number of 105va LV trannies fail on one particular downlight. 4 return visits and the last one has now been in for 3 years and still going.
not the internals of the timer, the supply to the timer if loose could be causing more current draw through the unit. just a thought

Test the element including a load test.
Yea do this, had one once that was all split open and part of the element was touching the metal sheath so it was drawing more current than it should, but nothing excessive, around 15.5A IIRC no RCD on circuit. That one ----ed the timer which was the reason for the callout.
Any time I do any work on an immersion heater I always carry out an insulation resistance test, current test with clamp meter and earth fault loop impedance test.

Thanks. I know it seems that the timers I bought were of low quality but it seems too much of a Co incidence that 3 have gone in the space of a couple of weeks.
Will carry out the tests you mentioned thanks

if your water has a high calcium carbonate content (limescale)be a good idea to fit a stainless element.

Reply to Immersion timers keep failing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock