Discuss Improver taking the 2394/95 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve93

-
Trainee
Reaction score
hi I have been working as an electricians mate for the past 3-4 years. Passed my C&G2330 level 2 back in 2012. Isit complete suicide to do my 2394/5 course without any level 3?

hi I have been working as an electricians mate for the past 3-4 years. Passed my C&G2330 level 2 back in 2012. Isit complete suicide to do my 2394/5 course without any level 3?
I would complete what you are doing and then do Isp and Test courses

How much testing have you done? I was told to take your 2394/5 after being qualified for a few years. You should then have done a fair amount of testing on a vast array of installations. I didn't feel ready to test after my nvq and am2 let alone the level 2. Wait a bit mate and finish your nvq and am2

Too late to wait. Boss nudged me onto it started it this week got the 94 this week and the 95 next week. I've done a fair bit of testing and filling out certificates. Just everyone else is older and more qualifications than me. I admit it's bladdy hard and the fail rate is 70%. So I understand how difficult it's going to be especially doing the 2 but just want to see people's views on it.

The 2394 is part of the 2357 and 5357 apprenticeship courses. It's all about initial verification however the 2395 is about existing installs and it is RECOMMENDED that you have a few years experience of testing existing installs before taking the 2395. Only you know if you are capable and ready to take these. It's a lot of money to waste if you aren't and you fail.

Jay

i did it before qualifying (still haven't). the 94/95 is an exam and practical, finishing the nvq takes portfolio work and assessments so it seemed logical to just crack out the exams and it's useful to be able to show a ticket if you need to test something. initial verification as said above is part of the nvq anyways, and if you study it's not actually that difficult. i think the pass rate is so low as many people don't. but you know yourself how comfortable/experienced you feel with it. you might be suprised how many people show up on the course without actually understanding how a circuit works. i was a bit disappointed in the course to be honest..

As you are now committed then it would be best to ensure you give it your best shot and check up on all the requirements of GN3 so that you are primed for the exam.
It is quite easy: so long as you know everything then there should be no problems!
Go for it, but go armed with knowledge.

College messed us up after the level 2 as I was full time college at the time. Couldn't find a apprenticeship either the whole group went back in September as instructed by a letter. To the confusion of the college no longer running the level 3 course!! This was my last year free education! Which really messed it up for me to be honest as it was too late to find another college placement. So went out working as a mate.

Are you doing EAL or C&G 2394? EAL avoids needing to come back and do the closed book written exam, but is more widely accepted.
If you have done some insp/testing and know GN3 inside out then you'll be fine on the 2394.

You should be alright I did mine 2 months ago with out any practical experience, all I did was read Gn3 and watched youtube for the practical side

Reply to Improver taking the 2394/95 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net