Discuss In car CCTV in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Joey Figo

Hope some can help with this.

Ive had to buy and in car cctv cos some failed lab experiment is keying my car. Ok so what I need to know please, the cctv is 5v through the ciggy lighter socket and the camera has a nokia phone battery rated at around 850 mah......I think. I know absolute zero about electrics, so can anyone suggest how long the camera could run for in hours before flattening my battery enough to make car a non starter? Last thing I want is to be stuck somewhere. Is there a calculation ? Also maybe buy a jump starter from halfords and run it off that?

*Just need to know if I had it plugged into car battety how long I could leave it going before getting into non starting situation?Car is 330ci and battery is couple months old. cadmium heavy duty type.*Cheers if u can advise. Got to catch this idiot.

Joey

Before you start modding the car, can you fit CCTV to your house, or have you got parking problems. The CCTV systems for homes now are simple affairs, none or very little electrical knowledge needed, just plug and play into your PC laptop etc and it does all the recording for you.

To your original question we need to know the Ah rating of you car battery, e.g if it is 350Ah it will run 350 amps for one hour, or 1 amp for 350 hours and any combination in between until it went flat. There is a bit more to it, such as temperature and other loadings like alarm systems, radio which always has a load for the memory. So the answer to your question is not straightforward.

Cheers…………..Howard

Hi I think the car battery is 70ah from memory. Guess the camera would probs run at 2 watts max. The car park in question is a works car park, away from home, the reason I have little option but for an in car dvr camera.

Hi I think the car battery is 70ah from memory. Guess the camera would probs run at 2 watts max. The car park in question is a works car park, away from home, the reason I have little option but for an in car dvr camera.

"Hello Joey Figo",

Please don` think that I am being patronising but have You given any thought to the fact that IF the CCTV Camera / Power supply is visible some other low life might then break into the Car to steal the CCTV - or they might see he power cable and think that a Sat Nav is in the Car - whichever way they would cause further damage to your Car.

This happened to a Friend of mine and it cost Him the price of the CCTV Kit which I think was about £150 and £300 for a new Door window.

Regards,

Chris

i thought geordie was the prophet of doom on the forum. LOL. but good post anyway, chris.

"Hello Joey Figo",

Please don` think that I am being patronising but have You given any thought to the fact that IF the CCTV Camera / Power supply is visible some other low life might then break into the Car to steal the CCTV - or they might see he power cable and think that a Sat Nav is in the Car - whichever way they would cause further damage to your Car.

This happened to a Friend of mine and it cost Him the price of the CCTV Kit which I think was about £150 and £300 for a new Door window.

Regards,

Chris

Camera is tiny and hidden. Power cable is hidden and routed to service socket in boot.

i thought geordie was the prophet of doom on the forum. LOL. but good post anyway, chris.

"Hello telectrix",

I know how Joey Figo / the OP feels about damage to His Car - I have had to install an additional CCTV Camera at my Home to `watch` my Car which has been `Hit` countless times by people parking next to it - and it has been Vandalised - a gouge right across the bonnet !

I have spent over 1500.00 getting these `Parking damages` and the Vandalism incident damage repaired !

Because of quite bad damage to both Bumpers by persons unknown before I fitted the additional CCTV Camera and then all the subsequent separate `Hits` I could not attribute the repair costs to any of the Drivers who I actually caught !

These `Hits` occurred so frequently because my Road is VERY busy for Parking during the Daytime and every day there are `Spaces`left next to my Car that are too small for all but the smallest of Cars to park - this does not deter people with large Cars from `Trying` the space - realising that it I too small when they `Hit` my Car !

I fitted the CCTV Camera to watch my Car because thought at the time that the damage had been caused by a irresponsible / anti-social neighbour - there was no evidence that his was happening after the Camera was put up.

I was then able to view exactly what was happening on very regular basis and saw the scenario about the small `parking spaces` next my Car.

Some Friends who were fitting new Roof for Me at that time verified what had seen on the CCTV was happening sometimes several times per DAY when they were working on the Roof !

My Car is also regularly scratched by Women and Men dragging their Bags along it while walking past !

So I can fully sympathise with anyone who as damage done to their Car - the damage done to my Car has happened so regularly that it really stresses Me out !

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to In car CCTV in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net