Discuss Incoming Gas cross bonded off cold water in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nothing to do with fault currents,on a TNCS system the bonding conductors may carry a significant current under normal load conditions,thats why there is a requirement for 10mm.
come on then W/P, how under normal conditions can a TNCS system have "significant" current flowing through the EB?

come on then W/P, how under normal conditions can a TNCS system have "significant" current flowing through the EB?

Because main bonding is connected to a metallic service at or near earth potential, and is electrically connected to the neutral terminal. Therefore a parallel path is created through which a proportion of the neutral current may divert. Do you think the required CSA of TNCS/PME bonding conductors are increased over TT/TNS for fun?

Last edited by a moderator:

Diverted neutral currents, which is the reason that PME supplies require larger main bonding and that the bonding size be maintained back to the PME terminal at the cutout.

Because main bonding is connected to a metallic service at or near earth potential, and is electrically connected to the neutral terminal. Therefore a parallel path is created through which a proportion of the neutral current may divert. Do you think the required CSA of TNCS/PME bonding conductors are increased over TT/TNS for fun?
A proportion yes, but I don't think the word significant is particularly apt under normal conditions?

A proportion yes, but I don't think the word significant is particularly apt under normal conditions?

Why not significant? If an old iron water main feeds a row of houses and each one has main bonding connecting that water main to the supply neutral then it will see a significant proportion of the neutral current

Obviously no point in a 10mm bond then, do it in 6.0mm. No reason at all for the main bond on larger installations to be up to twice the CSA required on a TNS.

I'm not questioning your knowledge w/p, just trying to get this straight. I understand how some current will flow through the EP, obviously it is a parallel path, but under normal conditions, on an average (let's say domestic) installation, it's not going to be large, certainly no where near that requiring 10mm? For example I just tried my own installation - with the shower and other stuff running I have a current draw of 41A through the tails, 40mA through the water bond and *****all through the gas, which is not surprising as it is plastic outside.(maybe come back to that just thinking about it). Am I, therefore, incorrect in thinking that the increased EP bond for TNCS systems is nothing to do with fault conditions including possible loss of neutral then?

Due to the fact that the network neutral and earth are combined, any neutral current from the installation, will also be present in the earth conductors.
If incoming services are metallic and bonded, then diverted neutral currents from other installations that are bonded to the same services will also be present in the earth conductors.
A break in the Combined Neutral and Earth network conductor is another kettle of fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the fact that the network neutral and earth are combined, any neutral current from the installation, will also be present in the earth conductors.
If incoming services are metallic and bonded, then diverted neutral currents from other installations that are bonded to the same services will also be present in the earth conductors.
A break in the Cobined Neutral and Earth network conductor is another kettle of fish.
cheers Spin, I wasn't thinking of the bigger picture here. Methinks I might get me a copy of GN7

I know what to do here. Install a bonding clamp on gas pipe with a short piece of 1mm connected to it. Tell kitchen fitter it is an aerial for your wireless bonding arrangement back to MET. He will definately believe you as he does not understand electrical type stuff thingys. Then tell customer it is free. Everyone will love you.

ROFLMAO :sorcerer:

Reply to Incoming Gas cross bonded off cold water in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock