Discuss Inconsistent R1+Rn in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This is a ring final circuit you are testing isn't it? what type of cable are you using single or twin and cpc??

Its only a short radial, so a very simple test but couldn't get any other results after several goes
Is the cable twin and earth?
Its only a short radial, so a very simple test but couldn't get any other results after several goes
If its a radial R1+R2 is all you need isn't it? r1 r2 and rn are for RFCs

Poor connections from the tester to the cable - I wouldn't be wasting too much time on it....unless there are a few connections you can check easily.

Its twin and earth (2.5mm). Still gaining experience so took all combinations of readings before I left just in case.

Had two radial circuits. One gave .11, .11 and .08 which seemed reasonable but the other returned .11, .11 and .14

I know that I don't need the R1+Rn but just curious why it was out?

You're right I shouldn't waste to too much time on this but thought I would throw it out there.

As Murdoch says it could be poor connections of your Croc clips/ leads. Yuo could do the test 3 or 4 times and might get various readings but with a difference of 0.06 I wouldn't lose any sleep over. It is refreshing however to see that you are doing the extra, if not necessary, test to gain a bit more knowledge/experience.

Jay

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Just starting out so want to make sure I cover all the basis etc. Already seen some very dodgey work.

In the middle of a rewire at the moment, virtually every socket etc has major safety issues - no earths, L/N reversed, no sheathing etc... Fortunately, I'm ripping it all out and starting again

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Just starting out so want to make sure I cover all the basis etc. Already seen some very dodgey work.

In the middle of a rewire at the moment, virtually every socket etc has major safety issues - no earths, L/N reversed, no sheathing etc... Fortunately, I'm ripping it all out and starting again

So if you are rewireing the place, why are you testing it first? Did you do an EICR first?

Jay

Are you using a 13a plug test lead? I find that sometimes there is a film on the contacts and have to switch on/off socket switch +reinsert plug few times on cheeper sockets then get the correct reading.

I always find getting the wire right down into the jaws of the test clip makes for a much better contact rather than just attaching them by the front of the clip.

Reply to Inconsistent R1+Rn in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock