Discuss induced current.. i think in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys

I am a little puzzled with a job I am currently working on.

A hotel we currently do work for had an EICR carried out by what appears to be quite thorough firm with regards to their items highlighted which all appear understandable with the exception of one on which we can’t get to the bottom of.

On 3 (3phase 18 way) consumer units each located at differing locations within the hotel we had highlighted “Higher than expected earth leakage”, each board has between 2.8a supposed leakage.

After clamping my amp meter around all 3 lines & N I had the same values highlighted being between 2-3a on each board on the sub mains. (Nothing down the earth)

We suspected the final circuits to have earth leakage from equipment plugged in however after isolating the DB the 2-3a remained.

We then isolated the sub mains to each board and the number was still 2-3a on each board.

I suspect induced current on the sub main as with the supply isolated to the sub main the same 2-3a remained on each board.

Whilst I can’t conclude the source of this possible induced current I cant see any issues with it or am I wrong?

Thanks guys will be interested to hear any punts.

Hello guys

I am a little puzzled with a job I am currently working on.

A hotel we currently do work for had an EICR carried out by what appears to be quite thorough firm with regards to their items highlighted which all appear understandable with the exception of one on which we can’t get to the bottom of.

On 3 (3phase 18 way) consumer units each located at differing locations within the hotel we had highlighted “Higher than expected earth leakage”, each board has between 2.8a supposed leakage.

After clamping my amp meter around all 3 lines & N I had the same values highlighted being between 2-3a on each board on the sub mains. (Nothing down the earth)

We suspected the final circuits to have earth leakage from equipment plugged in however after isolating the DB the 2-3a remained.

We then isolated the sub mains to each board and the number was still 2-3a on each board.

I suspect induced current on the sub main as with the supply isolated to the sub main the same 2-3a remained on each board.

Whilst I can’t conclude the source of this possible induced current I cant see any issues with it or am I wrong?

Thanks guys will be interested to hear any punts.
Did you clamp the earth conductor?

He did, nothing was measured.

What meter are you using to measure the current, and how much current is on this sub main you're measuring. Are you sure it's not just an erroneous meter reading.

2 -3 amp is enough for most meters to pick it up accurately on a single conductor.

What meter are you using to measure the current, and how much current is on this sub main you're measuring. Are you sure it's not just an erroneous meter reading.

2 -3 amp is enough for most meters to pick it up accurately on a single conductor.
Oh yes didn't notice that

"We then isolated the sub mains to each board and the number was still 2-3a on each board"

Hi - if I'm understanding this correctly, you measured a current in a board that had no supply connected?

Hi - if I'm understanding this correctly, you measured a current in a board that had no supply connected?[/QUOTE]

Yes correct Wilko

I am using a fluke clamp meter, the testing company tested the sub main using the same method which consisted of putting the clamp around all lines and N whilst live.
on one board for example they highlighted 2.8a.
after repeating the same method i am yielding the same results even when the sub mains supply has been isolated.
in my opinion I cant see an issue as i suspect induced currents?

What is the earthing arrangement?[/QUOTE]
From the dedicated sub station within the building we a ring of mains with a TN-S earthing system

Was the neutral isolated, or just the lines?

Unless there's a complete circuit, you can't have an induced current, just an induced voltage.

Unless there's a complete circuit, you can't have an induced current, just an induced voltage.

I need to remove the neutral once I return to site and re/test. I should have picked that up myself.

My thoughts here are that the neutral is not bonded at the transformer.....

That would cause far too many other issues to just have this as a fault.

Current can't flow without potential.

The guy is measuring with the same type of instrument the previous testers used. My money, it's an issue with the meter.

That would cause far too many other issues to just have this as a fault.

Current can't flow without potential.

The guy is measuring with the same type of instrument the previous testers used. My money, it's an issue with the meter.
I was thinking.. is the current flowing in the neutral conductor from other supplies? I have seen boards with quite high voltages on the neutral even with the board isolated.. all due to a neutral not being bonded

Reply to induced current.. i think in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock