Discuss Inspection and test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

al1

Hello I have recently passed the part P course and I am in the process of registering with niceic I have recently been asked if I would inspect and test a house and issue a electrical installation certificate as they have been asked for one due to them moving I'm not sure we're I stand on doing this.

can any body help.

Thank you.

Thanks for your time as a competent person can you issue the certificate even thought I don't know wether everything as Been installed correctly .

thanks.

Thanks for your time as a competent person can you issue the certificate even thought I don't know wether everything as Been installed correctly .

thanks.

You need to know if the installation has been installed to bs7671 and if not what code to apply to the parts of the installation that do not comply with the regs....... It is very in-depth, and you need alot of experience/know-age to carry out one.

Imagine the scenario: Mr DIY has been living in his house for x number or years and tinkered and DIY'd his way through the house. Everything 'works' and there's no obvious sign of amateur wiring. He's decided to sell his house and to help it sell, he's popped down to a big shed and bought himself a consumer unit. Somehow he's blundered his way through it but inadvertently he's turned the upstairs socket RFC & downstairs socket RFC into one huge RFC by picking up the wrong wires in the consumer unit. Well, they all looked the same didn't they? It's not like he would've r1&r2'd or Ze'd etc. Also, where he's moved light switches about, he's borrowed neutrals from nearby sockets. It all works, sure it does. An inexperienced, newly qualified sparky, on his first proper job, may not pick up these massive errors because, when you're on your own for the first time, things like that happen. In addition to all of that, if it's for an EIC, how do you know what reference method? what grouping factor? etc etc......... For all you know, there's a 10mm cable feeding a shower that runs under 200mm of loft insulation for most of its length. Seriously, if someone else did it, and you didn't see it go in, you don't really know anything about that installation other that what you can see at the ends of the cable. That's not enough to put your name to it as safe/correct/within regs. For all you know, they've sawn through half a joist to pull a cable through. When that floor collapses, who do you think they'll come after? You don't want to be a fall guy for anybody.

thanks.

I think that comment has answered you own question bud..

Imagine the scenario: Mr DIY has been living in his house for x number or years and tinkered and DIY'd his way through the house. Everything 'works' and there's no obvious sign of amateur wiring. He's decided to sell his house and to help it sell, he's popped down to a big shed and bought himself a consumer unit. Somehow he's blundered his way through it but inadvertently he's turned the upstairs socket RFC & downstairs socket RFC into one huge RFC by picking up the wrong wires in the consumer unit. Well, they all looked the same didn't they? It's not like he would've r1&r2'd or Ze'd etc. Also, where he's moved light switches about, he's borrowed neutrals from nearby sockets. It all works, sure it does. An inexperienced, newly qualified sparky, on his first proper job, may not pick up these massive errors because, when you're on your own for the first time, things like that happen. In addition to all of that, if it's for an EIC, how do you know what reference method? what grouping factor? etc etc......... For all you know, there's a 10mm cable feeding a shower that runs under 200mm of loft insulation for most of its length. Seriously, if someone else did it, and you didn't see it go in, you don't really know anything about that installation other that what you can see at the ends of the cable. That's not enough to put your name to it as safe/correct/within regs. For all you know, they've sawn through half a joist to pull a cable through. When that floor collapses, who do you think they'll come after? You don't want to be a fall guy for anybody.

You're never going to find everything like that out anyway, unless you want to rip every floor board up, and take the plaster off all the walls. LIMITATIONS. Daz

iv'e recently gone self employed and at this moment in time wouldn't consider doing a eicr yet until I have gained a lot more experience on that side of things, like as been said it's very easy to miss something which could come back and bite you, but that is just me end of the day if you want to do eicr's you have to start somewhere but I would say to start with it's going to take you a lot longer to do 1 than people who do it all the time

iv'e recently gone self employed and at this moment in time wouldn't consider doing a eicr yet until I have gained a lot more experience on that side of things, like as been said it's very easy to miss something which could come back and bite you, but that is just me end of the day if you want to do eicr's you have to start somewhere but I would say to start with it's going to take you a lot longer to do 1 than people who do it all the time

Very sensible indeed.

my advice would be to sit 2394 & 2395 courses then you will be up too speed on EICRs etc.

No necessarily lot of the coding comes from experiance, and not from holding a certificate for initial verification and tesing and inspection. Ive been sparking 30 yrs plus and learn everyday, and constntly ask other sparks there take , especially on condition reporting.

Are they the replacement for 2391..?

Yes they are

iv'e recently gone self employed and at this moment in time wouldn't consider doing a eicr yet until I have gained a lot more experience on that side of things, like as been said it's very easy to miss something which could come back and bite you, but that is just me end of the day if you want to do eicr's you have to start somewhere but I would say to start with it's going to take you a lot longer to do 1 than people who do it all the

Hi thanks for your comment I think this is one job to give a miss at this time.

Reply to Inspection and test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock