Discuss Install an electric shower in bungalow - price range in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electricnovice

Hello - member of the public here again, so please be nice this time :smartass:

I can appreciate people wont want to give out quotes on a public site, but if doable I'd appreciate a 'price range' if that's ok.

For an electrician installing an electric shower in my Mum's bungalow bathroom, so that when quotes come to her she knows they are at least in the right ball-park area. Job outline is -

Supply and install 10.5kw Triton electric shower.
10mm cable, 40amp MCB.
Plumbing-pipework, isolator and connectors.
Electrical installation certificate.
Sundries and labour.
(quote without the VAT)

Water to the shower to feed off from a cold water pipe which spurs off from an electrically heated water tank unit.

Thank you. Anyone's help is really appreciated.

SD (daughter) (Midlands)

Hello - member of the public here again, so please be nice this time :smartass:

I can appreciate people wont want to give out quotes on a public site, but if doable I'd appreciate a 'price range' if that's ok.

For an electrician installing an electric shower in my Mum's bungalow bathroom, so that when quotes come to her she knows they are at least in the right ball-park area. Job outline is -

Supply and install 10.5kw Triton electric shower.
10mm cable, 40amp MCB.
Plumbing-pipework, isolator and connectors.
Electrical installation certificate.
Sundries and labour.
(quote without the VAT)

Water to the shower to feed off from a cold water pipe which spurs off from an electrically heated water tank unit.

Thank you. Anyone's help is really appreciated.

SD (daughter) (Midlands)

Getting ballpark figures off the internet without anyone having seen the job will give you a much less accurate idea of the actual price than getting 3 local electricians round to quote for the work. There may be myriad factors that only a first hand inspection will reveal.

The electrician will also decide on the sizing and co-ordination of the cable and MCB and won't need you to specify that for them.

I would presume that giving out a quote for this would be quite difficult. There are so many factors to take in.
Is there a existing shower? What route will the cable go? How easy it is to get the cable and water to the shower? Does the CU have an existing RCD?.......

Looks like andy beat me to it....

Last edited:
Is there a existing shower? A. No
What route will the cable go? A. Through the attic space (clear way through)
How easy it is to get the cable and water to the shower? A. Straightforward according to one guy
Does the CU have an existing RCD? A. The electrical unit is brand new and there is space for a new connection for the shower electric supply.

What have you been quote so far mate?

Mum has had 3 guys call. One hasnt sent the quote, one said he couldnt do it (?!) and the third has given a quote of ÂŁ550 - so Mum is wondering if that sounds fair (given the other two chaps havent quoted). I thought I'd ask before getting even more guys in. Thanks

Is the electrician also going to notify the relevant people as this falls under Part P?

notifying to you local building control.this is usually done throuh niceic,elecsa,napit, etc. if the sparks is a member of one of these scams. ÂŁ550 seems a bit steep, IMO.

notifying to you local building control.this is usually done throuh niceic,elecsa,napit, etc. if the sparks is a member of one of these scams. ÂŁ550 seems a bit steep, IMO.

Could it not be due to the water pipes needed installing too? Most sparks would normally have a plumber do this wouldn't they, so would have to spec that in?

ha. i do my own pipework. then im know that itcomes out in the right place, not 2 foot below the shower position as was the case the last time i got a wet-pants to do it.

ha. i do my own pipework. then im know that itcomes out in the right place, not 2 foot below the shower position as was the case the last time i got a wet-pants to do it.

Even so, it would be a fair amount of work? Or is the price still on the high side with that included?

Assuming...... Existing spare way on board, rcd, necessary bonding, I would estimate 4 hours labour + materials (cable, mcb, dp switch, 15mm supply pipe, stop cock and tap connector). Shouldn't cost more than ÂŁ350 ( including EIC) imho.

not having seen the job, it's hard to say, but i would probably quote ÂŁ400-ÂŁ450. not including the price of the shower unit. of course.

Assuming...... Existing spare way on board, rcd, necessary bonding, I would estimate 4 hours labour + materials (cable, mcb, dp switch, 15mm supply pipe, stop cock and tap connector). Shouldn't cost more than ÂŁ350 ( including EIC) imho.

Would you also notifying local building control for this price?

Reply to Install an electric shower in bungalow - price range in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net