Discuss Installation cert went missing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Diode

My electrician had been filling in an installation certificate in a house and finished it. It was for a complete installation . He left it in the house which was still a bit of a building site. When we returned, the certificate had been lost by the customer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can certify saying that the customer lost certificate without having to re do the whole thing? It's about 25 circuits!!!

their should allways be copy as the original spark could go back to do a periodic and not have access to original if the house is sold

You can't simply "say" that the installation has been tested with no record of having done so. Additionally, you cannot notify the installation in any case, that's the part P registered electrician's job.
Notification will require a certificate number, plus, as already said, the electrician should have a copy of the certificates.
If they have truly been lost (with no copies made), then the testing will need to be carried out again. Simple as that really, and a hard lesson for your electrician to learn.

You can't simply "say" that the installation has been tested with no record of having done so. Additionally, you cannot notify the installation in any case, that's the part P registered electrician's job.
Notification will require a certificate number, plus, as already said, the electrician should have a copy of the certificates.
If they have truly been lost (with no copies made), then the testing will need to be carried out again. Simple as that really, and a hard lesson for your electrician to learn.

Mr G
I have never included any certificate number when notifying work

The question being asked should never arise,its a little puzzling to say the least

My electrician had been filling in an installation certificate in a house and finished it. It was for a complete installation . He left it in the house which was still a bit of a building site. When we returned, the certificate had been lost by the customer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can certify saying that the customer lost certificate without having to re do the whole thing? It's about 25 circuits!!!

Then he is a VERY silly boy indeed and you have EVER right to be extremely cross with him !!!

Make him stand in the Naughty Corner for three weeks. That will teach him a lesson !!

Mr G
I have never included any certificate number when notifying work

The question being asked should never arise,its a little puzzling to say the least

Must only be Elecsa that requires the certificate number on notifications then.
I know that if I'd spent days testing 25 circuits, I'd be guarding that paperwork with my life, and copy it straight away.
Still not sure why the OP thinks that he/she needs to notify another electrician's work anyway. Isn't this the guy who was doing electrical work last year and asked on here whether you need to fit an RCBO on a new dual RCD CU?

Last edited:
Electrician who did the testing should have a copy for his own records. Ill probably still have all copies in 20years time let alone 3years. I keep them in my tax records. Seems safest place to me :)

Stating the obvious I know but in all the books of certs I've seen there are 2 copies,one you rip out for client and the other stays in the book,why not just copy the info onto a new cert from the copy in the book?

The cert's i have, have a blue copy sheet underneath - so you'll have all the details - charge for writing it out again?

Failing that, 999 ?

Reply to Installation cert went missing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net