Discuss Installation certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I am a 45 year old electrician with 17th and 2392 and was registered with NIC domestic for 5 years I an now employed by a hotel chain for past 2 years and till now they have never done any testing only employ a firm to do periodics they are looking now to do some installation certs for the works we carry out can I do them as a compatant electrician they are not looking to register with a guv body or do I have to have 2391 can someone advise me please

Are you saying that the Hotel are planning to employ a 3rd party company to test and inspect installation work you are doing??. Your post isn't clear.

With it being a hotel chain, I would presume that it is classed as a commercial business. If so, any electrical work you do, does not fall under the scope of Part P. You still need to issue either an EIC or a MWC when you carry out any leccy work. You don't need to have 2391 for this BUT you must be competent.

Jay

As above. If the hotel is defined as commercial work, fill your boots in doing the work and completing the certs if you feel your are a "competently" qualified electrician! (minor works & elec installation certs). No need for a Part P scheme provider.

For the periodic (EICR) you dont have to have any quals, again just be "competent" -- its a slightly different competency required in the levels of experience and understanding you have from being a standard "electrician". The C&G2391 (or equivalent) is not required for inspecting, it justs adds a little more weight around your competency should anything arise for which you have inspected and signed-off!

Are you saying that the Hotel are planning to employ a 3rd party company to test and inspect installation work you are doing??. Your post isn't clear.
Hi sorry it is commercial and the hotels employ a firm to do periodic inspections and certificate but I do new installations and refurbs throughout the hotels and now when I finish a job they want me to do an installation certificate so as I am compatant person can I do this u do have 2392 but not 2391 they just need a self certificate they are not registering with a gov body ie NIC sorry if didn't explain just need to know if I can do this or do I have to take the 2391 thanks

You can sign it off if you are competent. In my view you have to be at least able to do the testing as in GN3 and understand how/why the tests are performed and in which order. The 2391 has been replaced by 2394 and 2395 now.

Like most things there are people without 2391 or equivalent who are competent, and people with it who are definitely not!

Why don't you see if your employer will pay or go halves with you on 2394/training. You'll feel better with it!

Thanks for your help I am going to get 2394/2395 I have done a lot of testing for firms and have 2392 and did hold domestic installer for 5 years and on inspection was told very competent thanks again for your help

Hi sorry it is commercial and the hotels employ a firm to do periodic inspections and certificate but I do new installations and refurbs throughout the hotels and now when I finish a job they want me to do an installation certificate so as I am compatant person can I do this u do have 2392 but not 2391 they just need a self certificate they are not registering with a gov body ie NIC sorry if didn't explain just need to know if I can do this or do I have to take the 2391 thanks
Yes you can sign off yourself. Calibrated mft and certs is what you need

Hi I am a 45 year old electrician with 17th and 2392 and was registered with NIC domestic for 5 years I an now employed by a hotel chain for past 2 years and till now they have never done any testing only employ a firm to do periodics they are looking now to do some installation certs for the works we carry out can I do them as a compatant electrician they are not looking to register with a guv body or do I have to have 2391 can someone advise me please

Does this mean you don't have 2360 or 2330 or any other meaningful electrical qualifications etc, just the 17th edition ?? Eg ...A 5 Week domestic Installer training course and a ad hoc 2392??

I see the OP suddenly ran away when i asked that question!! lol!!

So i'll ask another, just in case he does return.

What is a domestic installer doing, working in a commercial sector position, that i warrant will have little to no idea of 3 phase installations or it's servicing?? Do you really consider yourself competent to undertake commercial testing, because if you are a Electrical Trainee i seriously doubt it, 2392 or not!!

I see the OP suddenly ran away when i asked that question!! lol!!

So i'll ask another, just in case he does return.

What is a domestic installer doing, working in a commercial sector position, that i warrant will have little to no idea of 3 phase installations or it's servicing?? Do you really consider yourself competent to undertake commercial testing, because if you are a Electrical Trainee i seriously doubt it, 2392 or not!!
Not run away actually working unlike you bookends it's my mistake I should have clearly stated I am a time served gully qualified electrician of 25 years I went self employed at 21 and since gained my domestic installer only to fulfill and certificate my private jobs I am very experienced in micc swa fire alarms conduit systems and believe my apprenticeship was very good so thank you all for your so polite thoughts sorry to interrupt your studying so you can get back to reading how us electricians are meant to do the works

Not run away actually working unlike you bookends it's my mistake I should have clearly stated I am a time served gully qualified electrician of 25 years I went self employed at 21 and since gained my domestic installer only to fulfill and certificate my private jobs I am very experienced in micc swa fire alarms conduit systems and believe my apprenticeship was very good so thank you all for your so polite thoughts sorry to interrupt your studying so you can get back to reading how us electricians are meant to do the works
Martin if you are a time served electrician of 25 years why take the 5 week course M8, just don't make any sense.

1) How come a time served electrician only holds 17th and 2392 ?
2) Why do the Electrical Trainee course, if, you're a time served electrician?

Doesn't make you a 'bookend' being a member of this site, i work alot, and very hard i might add - and when i get home, i enjoy coming on the forum to discuss with like minded people. It's called having an interest in the trade. - It's either that or watch corrie with the missus lol, no thanks!

1) How come a time served electrician only holds 17th and 2392 ?
2) Why do the Electrical Trainee course, if, you're a time served electrician?

Doesn't make you a 'bookend' being a member of this site, i work alot, and very hard i might add - and when i get home, i enjoy coming on the forum to discuss with like minded people. It's called having an interest in the trade. - It's either that or watch corrie with the missus lol, no thanks!
I think Martin bless him may have a chip on his shoulder, god help him when the guys get on here later if he is touchy haha

Thanks for your help I am going to get 2394/2395 I have done a lot of testing for firms and have 2392 and did hold domestic installer for 5 years and on inspection was told very competent thanks again for your help

Don't understand that Martin. If you have done lots of I&T for firms then just doing a MW or EIC's for your own jobs is a walk in the park. Just get yer MFT out, crack on and fill out your certs!

I don't believe a word of that to be totally honest with you!! You're a five week wonder with minimal qualifications, and as such, shouldn't be working in the commercial sector!
If you're so-called apprenticeship was so good, and with that 25 years of experience under your belt how come you don't know the effects of taking live conductors through separate holes in a steel enclosure, which is really very basic stuff, and would have been covered in any apprentice college course...

No self respecting time served qualified electrician would take a domestic installers course, ''NONE'', especially when he had no need whatsoever to do so!! Sorry you can bleat all you like, you are only fooling yourself thinking you're a competent practicing electrician, ..End Of!!

Reply to Installation certificates in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net