Discuss Installation standards question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

powderhound

Hi, I rent out a flat. I asked our letting agent to arrange to have our 5 year test done which the did. Some work required to put in RCD fuseboard, replacing with a new one. The property is an old townhouse (1860) split into 5 flats.

All that so you understand I haven't seen this installation but I have no reason to doubt the electrician will have done the work properly.

I've had objections from one of other neighbours because the fusebox has been relocated and cable has been surface run along the top of skirtings in the common hall which my title deeds allow. He has thrown a load of electric rules at me so want to know we are ok. Heres what he said

"the walls around the stairwell arestructurally loadbearing and deemed as compartment walls providing fire-ratedseparation and protection to the flats. The stairwell is the sole means ofescape from upper flats and regulations apply to eliminate any fire risk inthis area that may compromise escape or add an increased risk, eg. electricalcabling. Any measures to compromise this is unacceptable and also acontravention of statutory Building Regulations. All new electrical works need to be in undertakenin accordance with the IEE regulations and your electrical contractor shouldhave been made aware of this requirement."

I think he I confusing commercial and domestic property. This might apply to commercial property. As its an RCD board that s now been put in we think it is ok to do this surface cable.

Help !!. Can anyone comment on this to guide me or put my mind at rest.I can't contact the letting agent till Monday.

do you mean clipped direct with trunking or with cable clips?
if there is a problem your electrician can spend a few minuites using the metal cable clips and jobs a good un.

Too difficult to tell from a distance and not knowing what local requirements have been put in place at the residence.

The walls could well be load bearing and must be fire compartment walls in this situation.
The stairwell is presumably the only fire escape route and this should be kept clear for egress.
Electric cables should not be able to drop and obstruct the exit route.
The IEE (now the IET) do produce the wiring regulations but would not cover specific requirements for fire escape routes only for the safety of cabling as they are for the electrical wiring only.
The building regulations may well specify requirements for fire safety, but you should enquire which part of the building regulations are being referred to.
Approved document B covers the aspects of the building regulations with regards to fire safety and is available for free download from the planning portal. This may have some relevant details for you.

As the neighbour seems so knowledgeable about the subject I would reply as below;

"As far as I am aware the installation is fully compliant unless you can state the specific Building regulation(s) that any work contravenes then I will not be asking the electrician to make any changes".

In itself, surface clipped cable, RCD protected or not, is perfectly acceptable under the requirements of the wiring regs.

Any breaches of fire breaks or fire compartments, i.e. drilled holes for cables to pass through, should have been re-sealed with a fire retardant substance.

As said above by Richard Burns, the stairwell must be kept clear, so any cables in that area must be out of the way and properly supported so as not to cause any potential hazard. A cable itself though is not a potential fire hazard as your neighbour stated.

As Snowhead says, unless your neighbour can reference specific regs you have breached, then it's all hearsay up to that point.

Last edited:
In itself, surface clipped cable, RCD protected or not, is perfectly acceptable under the requirements of the wiring regs.

Any breaches of fire breaks or fire compartments, i.e. drilled holes for cables to pass through, should have been re-sealed with a fire retardant substance.

As said above by Richard Burns, the stairwell must be kept clear, so any cables in that area must be out of the way and properly supported so as not to cause any potential hazard. A cable itself though is not a potential fire hazard as your tenant stated.

As Snowhead says, unless your tenant can reference specific regs you have breached, then it's all hearsay up to that point.

Think you'll find it's one of the neighbours that's complaining, not the OP's tenant!!

Reply to Installation standards question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock