Discuss Installation test following rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JSPark91

I've recently carried out a full rewire of a domestic property which had a supply to a garage by use of an armoured in ducting run underground. I have taken a new feed to the adaptable box that said armoured is terminated into and have tested the armoured itself and all is ok. My question is, as the garage has its own CCU that is supplied by the armoured would I have to test the power & lighting circuits in the garage to put on a separate schedule of test results as part of the overall certificate or is it sufficient enough to test the r1+r2 & loop of the supply to the CCU and record the results on the schedule of results for the CCU in the property

Thanks

I've recently carried out a full rewire of a domestic property which had a supply to a garage by use of an armoured in ducting run underground. I have taken a new feed to the adaptable box that said armoured is terminated into and have tested the armoured itself and all is ok. My question is, as the garage has its own CCU that is supplied by the armoured would I have to test the power & lighting circuits in the garage to put on a separate schedule of test results as part of the overall certificate or is it sufficient enough to test the r1+r2 & loop of the supply to the CCU and record the results on the schedule of results for the CCU in the property

Thanks
Where is the CU in the supply to the garage fed from? if it's from the house CU I would suggest that it's part of the entire installation and should not be treated as a separate system. that's my take anyway.

Imo the new armoured feeding the garage should be tested as any other circuit you have rewired in this property (eic) and the garage should then have a eicr carried out on all of its circuits including zdb values.

Unless the garage is to be left disconnected then it should be tested as any other installation with multiple distribution boards. A separate schedule of test results added to the EIC is appropriate.

Why does he need to take responsibility for the existing CU in the garage? I would just record the tests for the new feed/armoured, and put "Rewire of house and new CU only" on the cert? Test it by all means but it would be a separate job unless it was covered in the original quote?

The supply to the garage is fed from a 32a MCB in the CU in the property that feeds a 6mm armoured that goes out to the garage CU. The CU in the garage has no RCD protection but as the circuit supplying the garage is RCD protected will the garage CU need to be changed or the main switch replaced with an RCD? The wiring and connections to the accessories in the garage is all ok so it's just the CU I'm unsure of

Imo the new armoured feeding the garage should be tested as any other circuit you have rewired in this property (eic) and the garage should then have a eicr carried out on all of its circuits including zdb values.
I think that's what I would say, but it's not a new armoured, just the feed to the adaptable box?

The supply to the garage is fed from a 32a MCB in the CU in the property that feeds a 6mm armoured that goes out to the garage CU. The CU in the garage has no RCD protection but as the circuit supplying the garage is RCD protected will the garage CU need to be changed or the main switch replaced with an RCD? The wiring and connections to the accessories in the garage is all ok so it's just the CU I'm unsure of
What did you quote for?

Why does he need to take responsibility for the existing CU in the garage? I would just record the tests for the new feed/armoured, and put "Rewire of house and new CU only" on the cert? Test it by all means but it would be a separate job unless it was covered in the original quote?
It wasn't part of the original agreed works so the only thing I was thinking to get around doing any works to the garage or issuing a separate schedule of test results was to agree with the client that it would not be included and go down as a limitation?

Could you clarify this - are you saying the main CU has RCD protection for the feed to the garage? If so then why would you think the garage CU needs changing? Apologies if I've misunderstood. Daz

The description of works is what you need to consider. Seeing as circuit in db1 is supplying db2 you need to test that circuit in entirety not just to the adaptable box...... Your EIC needs to show db2 imho

The description of works is what you need to consider. Seeing as circuit in db1 is supplying db2 you need to test that circuit in entirety not just to the adaptable box...... Your EIC needs to show db2 imho
I tested up to db2 in the garage not to the adaptable box. I've got in the description that it wasn't rewired so was thinking it wouldn't need to be part of the EIC as no install work was carried out from that point forward. Only the supply was renewed partly

I agree

What if you replace a board in a factory, rewire submains from it to existing boards which in turn then supply 400 existing circuits, you going to test the lot, I think not.

It wasn't part of the original agreed works so the only thing I was thinking to get around doing any works to the garage or issuing a separate schedule of test results was to agree with the client that it would not be included and go down as a limitation?

Limitations are for EICR's not EIC's.
Results for the existing installation aren't required but for what it's worth, after a full rewire, what's the problem with a bit more testing and a further set of schedule and results?

Reply to Installation test following rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net