Discuss Installation to maintenance in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Butby

Having always worked in installation I want to get a maintenance job now as I want more job security, paye, holiday pay and not always on the lookout off the next job. Anyway, is there a course which can be recommended which will gain me skills for maintenance so I can work in a factory or similar, thanks in advance

It's really just a case of building up experience. You should be able to get on ok if you have a fair amount of installation experience, but you'll obviously then get quicker at maintenance as you get used to the day to day repairs, servicing and faults that you'll encounter.

You need to join a job site, some people say try to keep your cv to one page. I did at first and had no reply's, I up dated my cv and put a list of things I have done using bullet points. It came to three pages, but after four weeks I had an interview and I start next week.

You need to join a job site, some people say try to keep your cv to one page. I did at first and had no reply's, I up dated my cv and put a list of things I have done using bullet points. It came to three pages, but after four weeks I had an interview and I start next week.

If a ''one page CV'' came across my desk it would go straight into file 13, ...the bin!!

For a concise CV, i'd expect it to be around 3 pages for anyone that has a good all round knowledge and experience, and fully cover at least the last 3 employers appointments for contract electricians etc...

In a modern factory you need to be able to work on 5 - 415V, AC & DC, be computer literate (PLC & robot software) and have a good memory as most fault finding relies on process/sequence knowledge.

You have to be able to cope with the pressure of lots of people who don't understand the equipment shouting at you when it breaks as production is king!.

On the plus side you can have a great craic with a good maintenance crew and generally get paid more than the production workers sweating their nuts off on the track :D

Engneer54, totally agree. If I had known that in the beginning, I would have got a new job sooner. You live and learn I suppose, but the last time I applied for a job it was 14 years ago.

I've recently made the same move for the same reasons - I'm doing maintenance in a hotel.
The pay isn't great, but it's just under 30 mins drive from home, I get free parking, a free lunch (plus free snacks as per whatever is left over from functions) and it's regular work on the cards so probably works out similar to doing site work on contracts.

Last week I changed a few light bulbs (yes I call them that), 'fixed' a door bell, screwed a toilet brush holder back, replaced a transformer in an uplighter, changed a high level floodlight, took down a rusty old floodlight, 'fixed' 2 table lamps, 'fixed' a massage table bed, replaced a broken fast-fix box for a socket, dressed some TV cables across an external wall, replaced a couple of old HID floodlights for LEDs, and a few other things.

A few weeks ago I was inflicted with the task of PAT testing all the rooms which was boring as F, but I should be doing a board change outside before long, which I'm actually looking forward to.

Apart from the 'maintenance manager' I'm the only spark - I'm working with 3 painters & decorators (and another who's off sick a lot) and a handyman.

The job in itself is OK, but you get all the ancillary HR bullsh that goes with this kind of job.

You could probably get more money in an industrial situation; again, Tony is your man to speak to about that.

Hi Adam, yeah am earning pretty ok for installation now and have earned really well in the past, but I'm 52 now and fed up with planning your next job as a couple of weeks off between jobs makes the good money you've earned worth less anyway. I appreciate that I will be earning less nut am wanting steady and long term. Plus the fact that we are propping up the cash flow of many electrical businesses as they all seem to be paying monthly some even in hand and I really don't like the fact that I can be owed thousands then don't get paid. Whatever happened to weekly pay ?

On the plus side you can have a great craic with a good maintenance crew and generally get paid more than the production workers sweating their nuts off on the track

Are you saying that you have worked as an industrial maintenance electrician where the production workers on the line were earning more than you?? So what happens when any of those production lines go down then??

Because if i were working at that factory, i'd be making sure those lines went down on a regular basis, until such time as my skilled salary or hourly rate was substantially more than the production workers rates... lol!!

Reply to Installation to maintenance in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock