Discuss Installing A Freezer In The Garage? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mutley racers

Hi chaps, am in need of some advice. I have a garage that is fed from our main consumer unit with an RCB. The cable is 2.5mm and supplies sockets and the lights to the garage.

Am i able to plug a freezer into one of the sockets? Or will this draw too much energy when the lights and other sockets are in use?

Could i change the size of the cable to the garage to make this possible?

All help is muchly appreciated.

Oh, also, i will eventually have a Log cabin built at the bottom of the garden, and would like to have sockets and lights in there. This means having the cable run along the fence and into Cabin. What kind of cable would i need to use?

Thanks for all the help guys

I am a Plumber and found this forum through the Plumbing forum.

I think these sights are so helpful. It is awesome!!!

Hi chaps, am in need of some advice. I have a garage that is fed from our main consumer unit with an RCB. The cable is 2.5mm and supplies sockets and the lights to the garage.What is the size of the RCB (?) Think you may mean MCB

Am i able to plug a freezer into one of the sockets? Or will this draw too much energy when the lights and other sockets are in use? What do you plug into your sockets now and how many lights

Could i change the size of the cable to the garage to make this possible? Yes if you wish, but it maybe enough now, as to change the cable most likely mean a lot of upgrading on things

All help is muchly appreciated.

Oh, also, i will eventually have a Log cabin built at the bottom of the garden, and would like to have sockets and lights in there. This means having the cable run along the fence and into Cabin. What kind of cable would i need to use? I personally would use a Steel Wired Armour (SWA) cable, but if it is surface then Hi-Tuf is good

Thanks for all the help guys

I am a Plumber and found this forum through the Plumbing forum.

I think these sights are so helpful. It is awesome!!!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. It is a 25 amp RCD. Is this ok to run a freezer off? At the moment i don't really use the garage sockets. Only when i use the lawn mower to cut the grass. Or plug a radio on. It has two outside lights attached to it and 2 inside lights. The long tubular ones.

When i run the cable to the log cabin, which will be used as a gym, can i just run it off the supply in the garage? And then run the lights and sockets off this?

Thanks Malcolm.

Well a 25amp RCD is a strange beast to have in the house, even a 25amp MCB is strange, but if that is what you got then that is what you got.

Yes you should have no problems running a freezer off of this with the existing loads you have. Just be warned though if it is an RCD/RCBO you have then outside areas and freezers do tend to not get along with each other due to dampness getting into the wiring. You don't want the freezer a) Tripping and food wasted b) tripping and taking out an house circuit.

As for the gym equipment, you will need to assess how much equipment you will put in and the loads.I suspect you will have heating of some kind, and perhaps water so you need to work all this out.

i can't see a problem with the freezer. as for the log cabin, the cabling, protective devices, earthing arrangements, etc.,would all have to be considered and calculations done to ensure a safe installation.

Reply to Installing A Freezer In The Garage? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net