Discuss installing a isolation switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nocowboy

hi new to the forum i'm not a sparky but a bricklayer so not that clued up on electrics.I have just installed a new kitchen after being told by the sparky at work how too i have added another 2 new double wall sockets,to the main ring which was fine until the mrs changed the design round and wanted to put her dishwasher and washing machine under an additional worktop, this means the double socket will be beneath the worktop and will be behind the appliances so i presume it must have a isolation switch above the worktop, so to install an isolation switch to that socket what would be the best way to do it? and do you wire a isolation switch to the main ring just like a normal wall socket then spur of this to the socket as i need to put in another for the extractor fan ? also i want to install a outside socket to a brick built shed that is adjoining the house would it be ok to just spur of a double socket for this? sorry for all the questions

Can't your 'sparky from work' friend help you as he will obviously be certifying the job & registering it with LABC???

Last edited by a moderator:
as lenny says, a bit more to it than running a few yards of cable. i can build bricks, but you could probably use them as a climbing aid. each to his own - get your sparks in.

well, you don't have to fit isolation switches for the appliance sockets. the plug/socket itself is an effective means of isolation. however folks like to be able to easily isolate appliances when not in use. a double pole isolator is the ideal remedy.

cheers lads i can understand that you don't want to help a unqualified peep thats fine, but i don't see why i would have to contact building control for adding 2 extra sockets to a kitchen, could you enlighten me to why

Google Part P and you will see you need to be approved or contact your LABC for an inspection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part P is a waste of space, all it's doing is making the LABC's & schemes money. It's not stopping Cowboys doing domestic work & I seriously doubt it ever will.

It doesn't make the LABC money, as unregistered sparks have to fork out a load more than if you're registered. If no one was Part peed then the LABCs around the country would be loving it.

Makes you wonder if Part P is "advertised" at all

It isn't really is it. That's the biggest problem. Most lay people who've heard of Part P think it's a qualification and therefore don't understand what it is or what it is for.

People need to be told what it is, not left to investigate for themselves. Take the OP as an example. He doesn't know any different (though his spark friend could have been more useful in telling him) and why would he know any different? I can't say I have ever seen an advert anywhere explaining Part P and the do's and don't s of electrical work in homes.

Again I fear yet another post can be hijacked in to Part P rant so my parting advice to the OP would be, I would like to help you mate, but I think it's in your best interest that I don't. If you can hang on for your sparky friend to come home then I think that would be best. Cheers.

It isn't really is it. That's the biggest problem. Most lay people who've heard of Part P think it's a qualification and therefore don't understand what it is or what it is for.

People need to be told what it is, not left to investigate for themselves. Take the OP as an example. He doesn't know any different (though his spark friend could have been more useful in telling him) and why would he know any different? I can't say I have ever seen an advert anywhere explaining Part P and the do's and don't s of electrical work in homes.

Again I fear yet another post can be hijacked in to Part P rant so my parting advice to the OP would be, I would like to help you mate, but I think it's in your best interest that I don't. If you can hang on for your sparky friend to come home then I think that would be best. Cheers.

Agreed but the OP is in the building trade so you would have hoped that they would have heard about it!.

thanks lads i have been in the building for 30 years but never deal with electrics so thats probably why i have never heard of part p, never had any reason to know about it, but it's something else i have learnt.

You know, sometimes us sparkies are so up ourselves! Why on earth do we keep believing that other trades or the general public should know as much about the rules and regs of our trade as we do?????

The simple fact is that the trade missed the boat in getting electrical installation works, parts etc restricted to qualified persons (as per CORGI/Gas Safe) and it aint gonna change now. Get over it :chillpill:

Polo, I don't think as a trade we are up ourselves, we believe that the public should be aware of the rules and regs not that they should know them inside out. If there was a greater awareness then maybe the public would not be preyed upon by cowboys and shysters and perhaps there would be less people being killed each year by either these people or enthusiastic DIYers who think it's just about a few cables.
Maybe the trade did miss the boat but is that not the fault of the likes of IET, NIC etc but you're wrong about parts for gas installations being restricted, if I wanted to I could walk into Plumb Center this afternoon and walk out with a load of copper pipe, radiators and a boiler. There's ads in the Sunday papers where you can buy full systems from £1k with no questions asked.
Maybe it is too late to get meaningful change in the way our profession is viewed, personally I hope not.

By rights I should get a Part Peed electrician to do any work in my place. Hell will freeze over first, I want the job done to MY standards. And I’m only Part P**sed, but I’ll guarantee my work for the next 50 years.

The sooner Part P is ousted the better! It’s depriving well-qualified electricians that stick to the rules in favour of Joe from the pub.

Rant over! For the moment!

Polo, I don't think as a trade we are up ourselves, we believe that the public should be aware of the rules and regs not that they should know them inside out. If there was a greater awareness then maybe the public would not be preyed upon by cowboys and shysters and perhaps there would be less people being killed each year by either these people or enthusiastic DIYers who think it's just about a few cables.
Maybe the trade did miss the boat but is that not the fault of the likes of IET, NIC etc but you're wrong about parts for gas installations being restricted, if I wanted to I could walk into Plumb Center this afternoon and walk out with a load of copper pipe, radiators and a boiler. There's ads in the Sunday papers where you can buy full systems from £1k with no questions asked.
Maybe it is too late to get meaningful change in the way our profession is viewed, personally I hope not.

Don't take my comments too seriously Trev, said a bit tounge in cheek. I do think as a trade/profession that we have not done enough to inform the public, and I'm sorry, but I do put NIC and otherTrade Bodies firmly in this category. I have to agree with others that these bodies appear to have become too focused on fee income from members, although many do provide good backup for those of us at the coal face.

We are where we are and whilst I always try to inform customers, other trades about the dangers of messing around with something which they don't understand, I just don't see the general position of poor/low public understanding changing in the future....and of course you are right about access to gas parts - I know what I meant to say, it just didn't come out right!
Cheers!

Reply to installing a isolation switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock