Discuss Installing a LightwaverRF Dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

arjunnaha

I'm DIY installing a 1 gang LightwaveRF dimmer.

I currently have a Tenby switch (which I think is 2-way, but only actively 1-way).

As per the installation guide (http://lightwaverf.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/JSJSLW200.pdf) I need a

1. Switched LiveWire Out
  2. Live Wire In

20151222_094904.jpg

Which wires should I connect to which terminal on the dimmer?
There is a wire going into 1, two wires going into Common, a ground and a black wire capped off in the back box.

Welcome to the forum, I have approved your post for the general forum for a faster response, when admin is next on line you will be given DIY status and the thread relocated to the DIY section. :)

Please note! All advice given is in the understanding you work safely and ensure the power is not on when you are doing such work, this can only be done with approved voltage checkers (Not a neon screwdriver or contactless voltage sticks).

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome :wink_smile:. When I do electrical work, I turn off the main switch, take out the fuse and then test the live wires with a multimeter to ensure that there is no voltage present ;-).

Thanks for the warm welcome :wink_smile:. When I do electrical work, I turn off the main switch, take out the fuse and then test the live wires with a multimeter to ensure that there is no voltage present ;-).

To be fair that's better than a lot of people do, but it is best to use an 'approved' voltage tester - this is seen as the only safe way of testing for dead. Also, it should be tested on a known-live source (either a 'proving unit' or another nearby circuit) both before AND after testing the circuit to be worked on. Daz

Based on your description the two wires are likely to be the live in and the single wire likely to be the switched live out.
However this should be tested (safely). With the switch off one terminal will be live with respect to earth (live in) and the other terminal will be not live with respect to earth (switched live).
You cannot definitely tell without testing appropriately.
If you have a 60W incandescent lamp in the fitting then the resistance measured on the dead circuit with all other light switches on that circuit off should read about 900 ohms from switched live to neutral (black) and overlimit on live to neutral.

Reply to Installing a LightwaverRF Dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net