Discuss Installing Smart Light Switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Milesac91

hi guys/girls.
I am trying to install a smart light switch and need some help. The wires consist of yellow/green(earth), black (neutral), red(live). The light switch has N, L, L1. Obviously N to neutral, L to live, i think i need another live. Is there a possible workaround?

Thanks in advance

Not without a bit more info, think the issue you have is your smart light switch requires permanent live AND neutral. In most domestic installs it is unlikely you'll have a neutral at a switch. A picture of the inner of the switch MIGHT prove or disprove this. OP make sure your fuse for the light switch is turned OFF before doing this, if necessary turn off your whole fuse board to do so.

If in doubt, consult a qualified electrician. :)

I suspect the black at your old switch is actually the live return to the light and not neutral. It should be sleeved red for correct identification. The probability is there is no neutral there.

Thanks for the feedback, The neutral has always been plugged into the neutral slot on the old switch and the same on all other switches around the house so i only assume it is a neutral

Thanks again

I very much doubt there's a neutral at the light switch if they have pulled a black and a red out of the switch itself, but I've seen stranger things.

You need to look inside of the pattress(light switch box) and see if there is any more cables, you'd be pretty lucky if they have run the neutrals through the switch.

Thanks for the feedback, The neutral has always been plugged into the neutral slot on the old switch and the same on all other switches around the house so i only assume it is a neutral

Thanks again
Just because it's a black wire, doesn't mean it's a neutral it would be the black core of a twin and earth cable used as a L and S/L probably.

google smart light switch without neutral. or you could get an electricial i to re-jig the wiring (recommended).

Just for piece of mind, the smart light switch was replacing a standard light switch?

You may struggle, to find something that doesn't use a neutral, if you can't find something that uses a neutral and your heart is set on a smart light switch you need to get someone in to try and pull another core to the switch, or replace the existing cable with a 3 core and earth.

Yes it is a standard light switch to a smart one, I've had a look online and cant find alot. Will have to enquire about the rejig, how much do you reckon it would be?

As SWD previously said, LightwaveRF supply remote control switches. Are dimmable, so watch what lamps are in use. Switches can be controlled by battery powered slave switch, making it 2 way. Or hand held remote that can be set to control multiple devices. Or through phone app.
These don't need a neutral. Just live and sw/live

Reply to Installing Smart Light Switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net