Discuss installing socket in shed in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

n180

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently on a level 2 C&G course at college with a bit of experience.

I have to install a socket outside in the shed in my own house.

I have a few questions i'm not too sure about:

1. is SWA cable the only one to use for taking power to shed or can I use T&E run in conduit? Is there any other cable that I can use besides SWA that does not need conduit? Is there some rubber type of cable? What is usually the preferred option?

2. I am taking the feed to the shed from an upstairs bedroom socket. The cable or conduit will find a route running along and up/down the building walls all the way to the shed. Can I take SWA fed from a socket or does SWA always have to be run back to the CU?

3. Are there any specific important regs I should be concerned about? LIke this is not the sort of work that needs to be signed off does it? It's just a spur even though it is outside to the shed. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

you could fit a 13A FCU by the socket, then singles or T/E in conduit to shed socket. all the cable would need to be enclosed in the conduit

Applying for access to our trainee forum would be of great benefit to you n180, we have a selection of mentors and like minded trainee's who will be happy to help with you queries and question expected of someone learning the ropes... it not compulsary to join but I would recommend it :) see link.Announcements - Trainees Only

To be honest, there's no real reason why the T&E can't be clipped direct to the exterior of the house wall.
Problem will be if you have to cross a gap between the house and the shed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard T&E isn't UV tolerant and it breaks down especially so in direct sunlight, seen loads of it cracked on south facing building but no noticable effects when on the N facing walls.

its not a big deal with SWA, does not cost a fortune, nice and easy to install
(swa clips + wall plug/screw vs messing with conduit saddles or t+e clips.
easy to get a tidy job. terminate the armour into metal boxes fixed into the wall (you can practice with glands too, time to learn it sooner or later anyway)
and pass the inner section plus earth wire thru the wall to where it needs to be terminated. job done.

plastic conduit on external walls looks crap. black metal conduit is fine, blends with the pipes and drains, but plenty of work.
bare t+e will technically work, seen ones installed 20 years ago still working no problem, any cowboy builder can put it on, but its not a standard you should be doing as an electrician...

Last edited:
easy to get a tidy job. terminate the armour into metal boxes fixed into the wall (you can practice with glands too, time to learn it sooner or later anyway)
and pass the inner section plus earth wire thru the wall to where it needs to be terminated. job done.

plastic conduit on external walls looks crap. black metal conduit is fine, blends with the pipes and drains, but plenty of work.
bare t+e will technically work, seen ones installed 20 years ago still working no problem, any cowboy builder can put it on, but its not a standard you should be doing as an electrician...

I always thought black enamelled conduit was for indoor use, and would expect to see galv used externally.

first fitting 20mm pvc tube through the wall to protect those tails.

For me it would have to be a SWA with internal earth, the steel armour suitably bonded using a brass banjo to that internal earth at both terminations.

This can then either be buried in accordance with the appropriate Rgeulations or supported to the shed from the wall on a catenery wire, as could any other cable chosen.

As long as it doesn't stand out to much and look horribly out of place you could terminate it into either a pvc or galvanised metal weatherproof box, 1 fitted to the outer wall of the house and 1 to the shed where you could through connect to T&E, and as already advised, run to an FCU fitted next to the nearest socket spurred from the upstairs ringmain and at the other end to your socket and light.

I have already done a similar job at home and I personally preferred to terminate both ends of the SWA into a 20mm galvanised back entry end box with a brass bush fitted into the rear threaded spout. Put a through connection to the T&E in the box with the internal earth wire bonded to the 4mm terminal in the back and a rubber lid fitted under the galvanised box lid. I then used black tower clips both ends to secure the SWA to the wall but you could use cleats screwed to the wall.

As long as everthing is straight, level and plumb and installed in a tradesman like way most methods already mentioned should look ok.

Barrie

Thanks for the great answers guys. Plenty there for me to know what options I have.

And i'll definetly be joining up to that trainee part of the forum.

Reply to installing socket in shed in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock