Discuss Installing sockets in loft, wiring query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

KevSex

Hi all,

Just new to the forum so go easy on me :)

I'm going through a personal project to lay floor down in my loft and whilst doing so, installing a couple of sockets to allow for some computer equipment to run.

I've been speaking to a few mates and found that I am ideally wanting to find a ring main to install my socket onto. I feel like I've fell at the first hurdle as this is proving difficult to locate.

I have managed to locate a wire going to my smoke alarm which I'm reluctant to use for obvious reasons.
I've also located a box above my bathroom which I've found is a transformer for a fan in the bathroom. Reading up on this further, the fan is SELV and the box reads "Safety Extra Low Voltage". There is two wires going into this from what I can see however suspect an additional wire coming out from underneath it (connecting up to the bathroom lighting).

I'm looking to find out if the two cables going into this transformer will be part of the ring main and therefore have the right voltage/amperage to support the computer equipment.
Is there any other way of identifying what wire best to use?

I've attached a picture of this too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Kev

IMG_20170528_170424.jpg

Unless you already have a socket in the loft then you will almost certainly not have any wiring of the socket circuits up there. Everything you have described so far is going to be part of a lighting circuit.

Sockets don't have to be connected to a ring circuit, they can also be on radial circuits. In your situation this decision will be largely based on where there is an existing point on a power circuit to run the cable from.

An electrician will often be able to route a cable from the first floor via a built in cupboard such as an airing cupboard to get to the loft. There is quite often a suitable point in an airing cupboard that could be used to feed loft sockets. It is impossible to determine this without looking at the installation and making an assessment of what can be done. There are a lot of regulations which need to be complied with to ensure that electrical work doesn't present a fire or electric shock hazard.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense to take one up from the 1st floor through a cupboard.

The reason I was thinking one of these wires would have been suitable is that there is a 230V shaver socket in the bathroom below. Would I not be able to take it off that to achieve what I'm after?

Thanks again,

Kev

Not having a dig at the OP, and no disrespect intended, but don't you find Kev's post indicative of the General Public's understanding of all thing electric?

Totally agree with Dave & Andy but will put it in slightly different terms.
If you take power from an existing Lighting cable & start using it to power computers etc, the cable will in all probability overheat and may well catch fire.
The minimum this will do is severely damage your property, which your Insurance won't cover.
A more likely scenario is destruction of the property & possible Death of the occupants at the time and you being prosecuted for Manslaughter.

Call a good Electrician & get it done properly.

Not having a dig at the OP, and no disrespect intended, but don't you find Kev's post indicative of the General Public's understanding of all thing electric?
I have often thought about this and I think it is in our DNA. We see our parents fiddling with lectric like fitting plugs extending cables with taped joints and it is bourne into us to follow likewise but never gas though because our patents left that alone and we follow suit.

I also note that the OP's location is Scotland. I'm not up to speed on Building Warrants and when and where they are required, but as this is part of a loft conversion, I guess there will be some requirement to comply with Building Regs, which may include the electrical installation.

OP, as you've already been advised, employ an electrician.

I'm going through a personal project to lay floor down in my loft and whilst doing so, installing a couple of sockets to allow for some computer equipment to run.

How much computer equipment are you wanting to put in your loft?

Appreciate the feedback. Will probably go down the route of getting a qualified electrician to carry this out.

In terms of computer equipment, it's quite a few devices, server, access point, router, raspberry pi, NAS so best to do it right.

Yes mate they apparently do, before work starts. Then a certificate of habitation at the end once inspected.

Even just for putting some flooring down?

From what I was just told, yes. It's not just having some boards put down though, it's having Power & Lighting added.
It's changing from attic storage, to a usable & habitable space.

Will also need any smoke detection extended to cover attic space as well.

Scottish building regs are apparently a lot stricter than England / Wales.

Last edited by a moderator:

If your putting down some chipboard, to increase storage, I guess not. Putting down some flooring to make a liveable space, I guess it would. Loading, fire escape etc. But BC would advise.

Edit; ^^ what he said.

From what I was just told, yes. It's not just having some boards put down though, it's having Power & Lighting added.
It's changing from attic storage, to a usable & habitable space.

Will also need any smoke detection extended to cover attic space as well.

Scottish building regs are apparently a lot stricter than England / Wales.
Yep they are and no stupid Part P :)

My middle daughter has been nagging to move to Scotland, lack of part P would have to count as a big plus :cool::)

Agree with others about getting an electrician in to do the extra sockets, but are you sure putting computer equipment in a loft is a good idea . my loft at the moment is about 55 degrees C , :sweat: so you will probable need some air conditioning units in there as well !

Reply to Installing sockets in loft, wiring query in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net