Discuss Installing washing machine and t/drier in room with wc and basin - is it allowed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmei

Hi Folks

First posting. My background is in joinery with any little knowledge on electricity picked up as I went along which isn't enough to answer my query.

The lad lives in a flat in a large block about 150 years old. In the flat is a room about 6 feet x 5 feet containing a wc and wash hand basin. To make use of the wasted space he is thinking of adding a worktop with a washing machine and tumble drier underneath along the wall furthest from the wc. There is no window but the room has an extractor to the outside.

The electrical circuit in the flat is a radial one and appears to have been rewired fairly recently.

I have suggested taking a spur from a socket in the hall to a consumer unit located outside the room containing two suitable sized RCDs (30ma?) - positioned in a corner just above a table to suit the required distance above the floor. From this two wires would be fed through the wall to two separate switched fused connection units on surface boxes on the wall underneath the worktop into which the cables from the individual machines would be hard wired.

All wiring hidden in ducting of a suitable size securely attached to the wall.

He got a 'spark' out to price the job and, after a lot of sucking through teeth, was told it was not legal as you can't mix water and electricity in the one room. I have spent the last three hours trying to 'confirm' what the spark claims without success. Any and all advice would be greatly received.

Re: Installing washing machine and t/drier in room with wc and basin - is it allowed

There's no reason you can't install normal sockets in the toilet as long as there's no shower or bath in there. Laundry equipment in bathrooms is the norm in most countries, it's only the English that have hang-ups about it ;)

Re: Installing washing machine and t/drier in room with wc and basin - is it allowed

My take on this is that if it's just a toilet and sink then this isn't a special location ( no shower or bath ) so I don't see a problem with installing the appliances in the room the further from the sink the better, minimum 300mm I think is a general NIC distance. No need for the extra DB either. If it's recently re wired there's probably rcd protection on the existing circuit so check that. If so then just extend the ring or radial circuit from the hall to the new points. You should have isolating switches above the worktop for the appliances tho.

the teeth sucker clearly doesn't understand the regulations, I'd suggest finding an electrician who does

Thanks lads. Advice very much appreciated.

Reply to Installing washing machine and t/drier in room with wc and basin - is it allowed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net