Discuss Instrument for Testing a Lightning Conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's nice to post something and not have it deleted because it is a question regarding the new site sponsor !

Take that as you like .

Any views on lightning conductor testing will be greatly appreciated.

Surely an earth resistance tester (the one with the long wires and the T spikes) would be better unless the area around the rod(s) is built up or paved.

Surely an earth resistance tester (the one with the long wires and the T spikes) would be better unless the area around the rod(s) is built up or paved.

This particular installation is a Church surrounded by a tarmacked car park.
Also, to prevent theft of he copper rod, the electrode is contained in a steel tube to a height of approximately 4M.

I have only had small involvement in lightning protection, but when I have the requirement was <10ohms to earth from any point on the installation/ <10 ohms from the highest point to earth.
Not an electrode resistance of <10 ohms to earth.

I have only had small involvement in lightning protection, but when I have the requirement was <10ohms to earth from any point on the installation/ <10 ohms from the highest point to earth.
Not an electrode resistance of <10 ohms to earth.
That I why I asked for a discussion, there is so much conflicting information out there. I am currently trying to working my way through Megger's "Down to Earth", and thought a discussion may help.
I mentioned to an old hand what I was looking at and he told me remembered doing this with a loop tester.

If the building has a single lightning conductor the maximum reading of the rod should be below 10 ohms. We normally do a fall of potential test on a single earth if possible otherwise test off a "known earth" such as a street light or the earth on a plug socket in the building.

Should really be done by a lightning protection company though.

Megger DET3TC is what we use.

Last edited:
That I why I asked for a discussion, there is so much conflicting information out there. I am currently trying to working my way through Megger's "Down to Earth", and thought a discussion may help.
I mentioned to an old hand what I was looking at and he told me remembered doing this with a loop tester.

You need to get a copy of the BS for lightning protection and test in accordance with that, not free help guides.

Is it possible to test Lightning Conductor with an Earth Loop Impedance Tester ?

Discuss . . . . . . . . .. .

You will be measuring a whole load of other carp, such as the line conductor all the way back to the transformer, some transformer winding resistance, the transformer earth mesh/rod/whatever AND the lightning conductor. How do you know what resistances are attributable to each part.

You don't need to drive 4' long test electrodes into the car park to get valid readings from a pukka earth resistance tester...

This particular installation is a Church surrounded by a tarmacked car park.
Also, to prevent theft of he copper rod, the electrode is contained in a steel tube to a height of approximately 4M.

Tarmac does not prevent a proper test being carried out. Surface contact electrodes can be used for the test connections, small piles of damp chain are often mentioned as a possible option

Reply to Instrument for Testing a Lightning Conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net